Sewer rate philosophy up for debate


Quantity option doesn’t sit well with some of council

Coun. Hazel Braithwaite

Despite a negligible rise in water and sewer rates for Oak Bay in 2017, a conversation about philosophy is long overdue, says Coun. Hazel Braithwaite.

Water and sewer together will cost the average user $3.17 more next year, with the bulk of the cost increase coming from the Capital Regional District sewer rate. The CRD jumps 28.5 per cent while the Oak Bay side rises .05 per cent. For water Oak Bay is up 0.75 per cent and the CRD up 0.5 per cent.

Sewer rate is collected based on 70 per cent user charge, the quantity of water used by a property, with the other 30 per cent through taxes.

“I just don’t agree that we should do it this way,” said Braithwaite, who didn’t support the first two readings of the bylaw to implement the 2017 rates. “The bottom line is basically it ends up being unfair to a larger family who uses more water. They’re paying for their water no matter what, it’s not that they’re getting more service.”

Residents with higher volume water usage pay more.

“For me it doesn’t work because its unfair. It puts an unfair burden on a larger family who perhaps has to do laundry numerous times a day and they’re going to pay more than a family who is away for six months out of the year. For the sewer it’s really the same service they’re using, it’s the same infrastructure, the infrastructure is there, whether they use it or not.”

Braithwaite voted in support during the final approval Friday afternoon only out of fairness, with a number of those who supported the bylaw through first two readings not in attendance. Water and sewer rates must be implemented by Jan. 1 for the billing cycle.

She’s also confident this will be the year council revisits the formula.

“That water is gong to out the same pipe as a family of two,” Braithwaite said.

“There are enough of us now looking at it that we’ll get a staff report at estimates and have a look at it,” Braithwaite said.

During second reading of the bylaw Coun. Kevin Murdoch also opposed, citing some concern as year over year the CRD costs will rise.

Mayor Nils Jensen noted it was a “matter of philosophy” and perhaps time to revisit. It was something Braithwaite hoped to look at in 2016, but staff are confident they’ll have a report with options available for council during estimates meetings set for March 15, April 12 and April 19 at 5:30 p.m.

The bylaw to set water and sewer rates came alongside a provisional budget, offering “broad strokes” of where the estimates conversation will begin in the spring.

Total expenditures in 2017 are budgeted to increase by $4,105,203, largely due to capital projects including the Uplands sewage separation project, which is being funded by a reserve. Increases in other expenses are primarily due to increases in labour costs, contracting and consulting costs.

The net effect is 4.16 per cent increase in the municipal property tax levy. The effect on average individual property depends on several factors. For example, to the extent that the 2017 assessment roll includes new construction added to the tax base in 2016, the typical increase for the individual property owner will be less than 4.16 per cent.

 

Just Posted

Hundreds gather at fundraising kickoff for ‘Kings Park’ purchase

Campaign to raise $2.75 million for the District of Saanich underway

Cloudy skies ahead for Thursday

Plus a look ahead at your weekend

Poutine With Purpose Pub Crawl supports local charity

Enjoy a pub favourite while helping to feed local kids

Spooky meets retro at the Victoria Vintage Halloween Fair

It’s never to early to start planning your costume

Oak Bay grants 60 days of protection for century-old mansion

J.W. Morris House slated for removal by Abstract Developments

Sealand was much more than killer whales, says ex-employee

Former Sealasd trainer revisits Sealand of the Pacific in talk

Crime Stoppers most wanted for Greater Victoria for the week of September 17

Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers is seeking the public’s help in locating the… Continue reading

POLL: Should the province step in to upgrade the road to Bamfield?

The death of two University of Victoria students on a bus bound… Continue reading

35 of 87 dogs in 2018 Williams Lake seizure were euthanized due to behavioural issues, BCSPCA confirm

The dogs did not respond to the behaviour modification and remained terrified of humans

B.C. ‘tent city’ disputes spark call for local government autonomy

UBCM backs Maple Ridge after province overrules city

B.C. drug dealers arrested after traffic stop near Banff turns into helicopter pursuit

Antonio Nolasco-Padia, 23, and Dina Anthony, 55, both well-known to Chilliwack law enforcement

B.C. MLA calls on province to restrict vaping as first related illness appears in Canada

Todd Stone, Liberal MLA for Kamloops-South Thompson, introduced an anti-vaping bill in April

Most Read