Mike Bernier

Province delays launch of new school curriculum

Bernier unveils one-year extension, shift in timing of FSA tests

B.C. high school teachers and students have been given a one-year extension to start using the province’s new draft curriculum.

Education Minister Mike Bernier announced the delay Thursday morning, saying “it’s the right thing to do to make sure that we get it right for our students.”

Many teachers started using the draft grade 10 to 12 curriculum this past fall, and are providing feedback on its success with students, the ministry said.

The new curriculum, which emphasizes environmental education and aboriginal perspectives, has already been phased into Kindergarten to Grade 9 classrooms this year.

RELATED: Details on the new curriculum focus on “hands on” learning

The redesigned curriculum will be implemented at the beginning of the 2018 and 2019 school year, based on feedback provided by teachers and educators.

“The new curriculum has been designed by teachers for teachers – and thanks to their efforts it’s been successfully brought to life in kindergarten through Grade 9,” Bernier said. “The world is changing and our new curriculum is making sure our kids learn the skills they need to succeed in that changing world.

In other changes, the Foundation Skills Assessments (FSA) for Grade 4 and 7 students will now take place earlier in the school year – in the fall instead of the spring – so results can be used by teachers and parents to address any challenges a student may be having.

“Parents want to know how well their child and how well their child’s school is doing,” Bernier said.

“We are going to make sure they get that information in a way that’s useful to them.”

The province will also be releasing FSA test results differently, Bernier said, and look at “a wide range of education outcomes,” instead of just the test results.

Thursday’s news was welcomed by the BC Teachers Federation officials, who said they’re “pleased” to see the government listened to teachers.

 

 


@ashwadhwaniashley.wadhwani@bpdigital.caLike us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

Shaving minutes off commutes among the goals for Victoria bus lanes

Work on southbound Douglas Street lane between Tolmie and Hillside getting underway

Backyard of $2.2M Uplands property bulldozed for BMX jump track

34-year-old financial advisor fulfills childhood dream

VicPD nab distracted driver with expired licence

On the phone while in motion, man had overdue fines from driving while impaired

Gallery: Turnout good for Oak Bay’s inaugural volunteer fare

Oak Bay showcased non-profits and more with inaugural volunteer fair

Vic-Alert faces tidal wave of registration after tsunami warnings

City of Victoria system is free and provides early warnings of disaster

Mature Garry Oak falls on Beach Drive

150-year-old tree blocks access in front of Oak Bay Beach Hotel

Castlegar homicide victim identified

The victim was 38-year-old Jordan Workman of Castlegar, B.C.

B.C. Liberal leadership candidates get one last prime-time pitch

Leadership campaign to be decided in Feb. 3 vote

How high is safe from a tsunami? Four metres above sea level

Be disaster ready with food, water and clothing for seven days

Victoria Film Festival set for triumphant return to the big screen

Two decades on, diverse film lineups keep movie-goers coming to the box office

Victoria’s most wanted for the week of Jan. 23

Crime Stoppers will pay a reward of up to $2,000 for information that leads to arrests or the seizure of property or drug

Andrew Scheer on trade, Trump and Trudeau

Canada’s Conservative leader begins three-day visit to B.C.

Bell Canada alert prompts RCMP, privacy watchdog to probe data breach

Company spokesman: ‘Fewer than 100,000 customers were affected’

Victims restrained, sex toys and cash stolen from B.C. adult store

Armed suspects sought in adult store robbery

Most Read