Protecting your home from the silent killer

Know the signs of CO poisoning, have appliances serviced and install and maintain detectors

  • Oct. 22, 2016 10:00 a.m.

BC Safety Authority reminds homeowners that if you’re operating gas appliances in your home

Whether your home is new to you or a well-loved haven for your family, knowing the risks of carbon monoxide poisoning is key for all homeowners.

And now that fall is here, the B.C. Safety Authority reminds residents to protect themselves against the risks of carbon monoxide exposure by checking that all gas appliances are functioning properly and making sure CO detectors are working.

“It’s important to remember that if you are operating gas appliances, you could have a CO issue,” says BCSA’s Gas Safety Manager, Brad Wyatt. “As the weather cools, people tend to seal up their homes to avoid drafts and reduce heating expenses. But an air-tight home could create hazards when adequate combustion air is not available. That’s why it’s essential to make sure all appliances are serviced and working properly before firing them up.”

Carbon monoxide is produced by burning carbon fuels such as propane, natural gas, oil, wood, charcoal, alcohol, kerosene or gasoline. Exposure to CO interferes with the body’s ability to absorb oxygen, which can result in serious illness or death.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide exposure could initially include flu-like symptoms such as light headedness, headaches, nausea, fatigue, chest pains, vomiting, convulsions, confusion and dizziness. Children who are affected by lower levels of CO are at particular risk.

If you suspect you or your family has been exposed to CO seek medical care immediately.

Other signs you may have a CO issue are condensation on windows, dying plants, or having an entire family sick at the same time.

From 2007 to 2014, a total of 76 CO-related incidents were reported to, and investigated by, BCSA. These incidents resulted in nine fatalities and 149 non-fatal injuries. Most of these incidents occurred from October to April and many involved malfunctioning or improperly venting residential furnaces or water heaters.

BCSA recommends:

• All gas-fired appliances, including boilers, furnaces, hot water tanks, stoves, dryers and fireplaces, should be inspected and serviced by a licensed gas contractor at least yearly.

• Ensure all combustion air supply and fresh air intakes into your home remain unobstructed and any screens are free of dust and debris.

• Equip your home  with Canadian-certified CO detectors, ideally on each floor of the home, near bedrooms/sleeping areas. Test detectors annually and replace every seven years.

• Never disable CO detectors due to alarms.

• Gas work must be done by licensed contractors with a current Class A or Class B Gas Fitter or Gas Appliance Service Certificate of Qualification from BC Safety Authority.

• When using a wood-burning fireplace, crack open a window or alternate to allow fresh air flow into the home.

Visit safetyauthority.ca/carbon-monoxide.

 

 

Just Posted

Victoria Board of Education reviews its catchment boundary plans this week

Following consultation process, SD 61 ready to recommend shift in school learning lines

Suspect steals jewelry and ice cream bars in Oak Bay break and enter

Oak Bay resident loses $2,000 in gift cards to Visa Scam

Change room thief nabbed by West Shore RCMP Bike Unit

Quick-thinking caller leads police to suspect after witnessing theft

PHOTOS: Car Free YYJ entertains the masses in Victoria

Third annual fair where cars are banned goes off without a hitch

Victoria Ska and Reggae Festival returns to its roots, 20 years in

Longstanding music event brings together myriad talent in various genres

WATCH: Barbers battle it out in Victoria

‘Barber Battle’ saw stylists and barbers from across North America go head-to-head

B.C. church’s Pride flag defaced for second time in 12 days

Delta’s Ladner United Church says it will continue to fly the flag for Pride month

Police probe report of shooting as Raptors rally continues

There were reports of a woman being injured at the event that celebrates the team’s NBA title win

Oil and gas sector cautious as deadline on Trans Mountain decision nears

Trudeau government expected to announce whether it will approve pipeline for second time on Tuesday

Skipping school costs a dozen B.C. students chance at a new car

Cowichan’s Jared Lammi showed up and won $5,000 cheque toward vehicle, but he can’t drive

Man suffers burns, dog dies in fire in Nanaimo

Structure burns down on Clifford Road property in Cedar

Province comes through with funding for Charleigh Fales

Lake Cowichan toddler only one in B.C. diagnosed with CLN2 Batten disease

People throwing food at a bear in Fernie alarms conservation groups

“Approaching and feeding bears contributes to habituation,” says conservation group

Homalco tour gives glimpse into area’s ‘People, Land, Water’

First Nation business mixes cultural components with wildlife excursions

Most Read