Port Renfrew taxpayers will no longer contribute funds towards SEAPARC. (File - Sooke News Mirror)

Port Renfrew taxpayers will no longer contribute funds towards SEAPARC. (File - Sooke News Mirror)

Port Renfrew cuts cord from SEAPARC funding

Funds will be reallocated through Sooke and Juan de Fuca

  • Jul. 20, 2020 11:30 a.m.

Port Renfrew taxpayers will no longer provide funding towards the Sooke and Electoral Area Parks and Recreation Commission, also known as SEAPARC, in Sooke.

Mike Hicks, director for the Juan de Fuca Electoral Area, asked Sooke council that Port Renfrew be removed from the annual requisition, as the residents rarely if ever use the facility.

“It takes an hour and a half on a good day, a week on a bad day depending on road conditions, for Port Renfrew people to get to Sooke and use SEAPARC,” Hicks said. “Kids after school go straight home on the bus back to Port Renfrew.”

Most of SEAPARC’s funding comes from user memberships, and the rest is made up by local taxpayers.

The requisition for SEAPARC, which totals about $2.8 million annually, will now come from two sources: Sooke and the Juan de Fuca.

Port Renfrew taxpayers only contributed about $20,000 annually towards operating the recreation facility.

“It won’t make a dent in the overall requisition, and it won’t dramatically increase anyone’s taxes,” Hicks said.

“The bottom line is that Port Renfrew residents were not using SEAPARC much or at all. I am grateful for the Sooke mayor and council for recognizing fairness, and happy for the people of Port Renfrew who won’t have this on their taxes anymore.”

Al Beddows, Sooke councillor and chair of the SEAPARC commission, said SEAPARC and council voted unanimously to let Port Renfrew go.

“We did a study to see where most of our SEAPARC users were from, and found only one person from Port Renfrew was consistently using the facility,” Beddows said. “Nothing was supporting them staying in the requisition.”

Beddows said with the growth in Sooke over the last year, taxpayers likely won’t notice a difference in the amount, as the cost is divided equally among households.

“It was a tiny percentage coming from Port Renfrew, and quite frankly, they weren’t getting anything out of it,” he said.

ALSO READ: Province, SD62 purchase six acres in Langford for new 500-seat elementary school

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Port RenfrewrecreationSooke

Just Posted

By protesting uninvited in First Nations’ territories, conservationists are acting in a neocolonial or paternalistic manner, says Huu-ay-aht Chief Robert Dennis. Photo by Heather Thomson
A closer look: do Vancouver Island First Nations support the war in the woods?

First Nations/environmentalist old growth alliance uneasy, if it exists at all

Victoria police continue to look for missing man Tyrone Goertzen and are once again asking for the public’s assistance in locating him. (Photo courtesy of VicPD)
Victoria police put out another call for help finding missing man

Tyrone Goertzen, 33, was first reported missing June 4

Rachel Rivera (left) and Claire Ouchi are a dynamic art duo known as the WKNDRS. The two painted the new road mural at Uptown. (Megan Atkins-Baker/News Staff)
Artistic mural at Uptown brings creativity, fun to summer shoppers in Saanich

Road installation the largest of its kind in Greater Victoria

Kathy and Doug LaFortune stand next to the new welcome pole now gracing the front entrance of KELSET Elementary School in North Saanich. LaFortune completed the piece after suffering a stroke with the help of his wife and son Bear. (Wolf Depner/News Staff)
KELSET school in North Saanich unveils welcome pole on National Indigenous Peoples Day

Carver Doug LaFortune completed pole with the help of his son, wife after suffering a stroke

Colwood council is looking at potential summer weekend closures to traffic of a section of Ocean Boulevard at Esquimalt Lagoon, to allow for more of a park-like setting during summer events such as the popular Eats & Beats event, shown here in 2018. (Black Press Media file photo)
Mayor lobbying for summer weekend closures of beachfront Colwood roadway

Rob Martin to bring motion forward to June 28 council meeting

The border crossing into the United States is seen during the COVID-19 pandemic in Lacolle, Que. on February 12, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Paul Chiasson
VIDEO: Border quarantine to soon lift for fully vaccinated Canadians

Eligible travellers must still take multiple COVID-19 tests

Chilliwack secondary school’s principal is apologizing after a quote equating graduation with the end of slavery in the U.S. was included in the 2020-2021 yearbook. (Screenshot from submitted SnapChat)
B.C. student’s yearbook quote equates grad to end of slavery; principal cites editing error

Black former student ‘disgusted’ as CSS principal apologizes for what is called an editing error

Skeena MLA Ellis Ross. (Photo by Peter Versteege)
BC Liberal leadership candidate condemns ‘senseless violence’ of Okanagan church fires

Skeena MLA Ellis Ross says reconciliation isn’t about revenge for past tragedies

A coroner’s inquest will be taking place at the Capitol Theatre in Port Alberni for the next week. (ELENA RARDON / ALBERNI VALLEY NEWS)
Teen B.C. mom who died following police custody recalled as ‘friend to many’

Police sent Jocelyn George to hospital after intoxication had gone ‘beyond the realm’ of normal detox

FILE - In this Nov. 29, 2020, file photo, Las Vegas Raiders defensive end Carl Nassib leaves the field after an NFL football game against the Atlanta Falcons in Atlanta. Nassib on Monday, June 21, 2021, became the first active NFL player to come out as gay. Nassib announced the news on Instagram, saying he was not doing it for the attention but because “I just think that representation and visibility are so important.” (AP Photo/John Bazemore, File)
Nassib becomes first active NFL player to come out as gay

More than a dozen NFL players have come out as gay after their careers were over

Penticton Indian Band Chief Greg Gabriel speaks to the Sacred Hearts Catholic Church burning down early Monday morning, June 21, 2021. (Monique Tamminga Western News)
Penticton band chief condemns suspicious burning of 2 Catholic churches

Both Catholic church fires are deemed suspicious, says RCMP

COVID-19 daily cases reported to B.C. public health, seven-day moving average to June 17, 2021. (B.C. Centre for Disease Control)
B.C.’s COVID-19 infections drop to 90 on Sunday, 45 Monday

Pandemic spread dwindles as 77% of adults receive vaccine

Emergency vehicles are parked outside of the Wintergreen Apartments on Fourth Avenue. (SUSAN QUINN / Alberni Valley News)
Port Alberni RCMP investigate stabbing on Fourth Avenue

Two men were found with ‘significant’ injuries near Wintergreen Apartments

A blood drive in support of 1-year-old Rielynn Gormley of Agassiz is scheduled for Monday, June 28 at Tzeachten First Nation Community Hall in Chilliwack. Rielynn lives with type 3 von Willebrand disease, which makes it difficult for her to stop bleeding. (Screenshot/Canadian Blood Services)
Upcoming blood drive in honour of Fraser Valley toddler with rare blood condition

The Gormley family has organized a blood drive in Chilliwack on June 28

Most Read