Saanich Police arrested Jesse Doig on May 7, charged in connection with a sexual assault in the 3,900 block of Wolf Street on March 17, 2019. (Facebook)

Former child care worker charged with Saanich sexual assault pleads guilty

Jesse Doig arrested in May, remaining in custody since

A 23-year-old man charged with breaking into a Saanich townhouse in the middle of the night and sexually assaulting a woman at knife-point back in March, has pleaded guilty to two out of three charges.

On Sept. 11, Jesse Doig pleaded guilty to one count of sexual assault with a weapon and one count of breaking and entering. He was also facing a forcible confinement charge, but it was dropped by the Crown. Doig’s next court appearance is scheduled for Nov. 6 for a psychiatric exam and report.

RELATED: Man enters unlocked Saanich home with knife, sexually assaults 22-year-old

On March 17, at around 2 a.m., Doig allegedly entered an unlocked home in the 3900-block of Wolf Street and sexually assaulted a 22-year-old woman, who was visiting friends at the University of Victoria.

Doig, who was arrested and charged with the crime on May 7, has remained in custody since.

RELATED: UPDATED: Former employer calls arrest of Saanich child care worker in connection to sexual assault ‘absolutely shocking’

Doig was employed at The Cridge Centre for the Family for three years until his May 7 arrest. According to Shelley Morris, CEO of The Cridge Centre, Doig worked in the preschool program in the mornings and the after school program in the afternoons.

In an interview with Black Press Media in May, she called Doig a ‘fine employee,’ adding he was respected by his colleagues and well liked by the children, but stated the arrest was ‘absolutely shocking.’



kendra.crighton@blackpress.ca

Follow us on Instagram
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Family-owned pharmacy gives away free hand sanitizer in Victoria, Oak Bay

Fort Royal Pharmacy asks people to bring their own containers to fill with sanitizer

BC Transit extends free fare, installs vinyl barriers in some buses

Free fare will now be offered until April 30

Paramedics called to Oak Bay golf course as man crashes bike into sand trap

Oak Bay police respond to social distance concerns

Man charged after Langford shooting last year sentenced to 4.5 years

Justin Lemmen found guilty of firearms offenses

Victoria’s youth poetry slam goes digital to accommodate COVID-19

Victorious Voices participants hit the stage virtually

As 300K+ apply for emergency benefit, Trudeau says aid coming for Canadians left behind

Canada Emergency Response Benefit provides $2,000 per month

B.C. clears more acute hospital beds as COVID-19 case growth slows

Province holding about 40% of beds empty for peak still to come

UPDATE: UK PM Boris Johnson moved to intensive care after COVID-19 symptoms worse

He has been quarantined in his Downing St. residence since being diagnosed with COVID-19 on March 26

Travellers, travel agents ‘in agony’ over refund policies and customer service

Many Canadian carriers are offering customers flights rebookings or travel vouchers — but not refunds

Introverted and extroverted kids likely to react differently to COVID-19 restrictions

B.C. child psychologist says your parenting approach can’t be one-size fits all in social isolation

B.C. begins taking submissions for $2M COVID-19 research fund

Rural health, impact of shifting hospital resources among priorities

Wearing non-medical masks can stop spread of COVID-19 before symptoms start: Tam

Health officials had previously not recommended wearing them

Easter Bunny not a COVID-19 carrier, allowed to do drop offs

World Health Organization grants permission to Bunny as he cannot transfer the virus

Most Read