Chad McMillan has only owned A Pet’s Life since 2019, but that doesn’t mean the store is in its infancy. A Pet’s Life has been a fixture at 2019 Cadboro Bay Rd. for over three decades with a dedicated staff and customer base, and Chad brought years of experience when he moved to the Island from Manitoba.
“My first job with animals was at a pet store in Winnipeg when I was 17. 6 years later I bought my first pet store!”
He’s been in the pet industry for 28 years, and sincerely appreciates the community he’s met at A Pet’s Life.
“The staff are amazing — they know our customers, know their pets, and know what they like to buy,” he says.
If you don’t know them already, Chad’s taking this opportunity to introduce the amazing long term staff who make A Pet’s Life special.
Over a decade ago Karen was new to Victoria and in need of some cat food. She liked the look and feel of the store at the corner of Fort and Foul Bay, so she applied for a job. She’s been working at A Pet’s Life ever since.
“It’s always felt like a little family,” she says. “So many friendly people! Lots of people have shopped here since the store opened, and we get to see their families grow up.”
- Current pet: “I’m ‘between cats.’ My Spike passed a few years ago, but I know I’ll have another cat again.”
- Favourite product: PetKind Dog Food. “It’s still a locally owned company making great food in a local plant.”
Kyla has been working at A Pet’s Life almost as long as Karen, and says the customers (both the humans and the pets) are “a major mood booster.”
Her years of experience help her advise customers — and comes in handy when they want a specific product but can’t remember the name.
“People around here are very passionate about their pets — they’re eager to do what’s best for them and the love really shows,” she says. “It means a lot to me that they trust my advice and often give me feedback. There’s a strong sense of community here and I’m proud to be a part of it.”
- Current pet: A kitty named Mooncake and a chocolate lab named Sarge
- Favourite product: Catit Flower Fountain. “Cats are drawn to running water so it has really helped customers (and myself) get our cats drinking more often. It’s also adorable!”
Another A Pet’s Life staff member with over a decade’s experience in the pet industry! Having worked at other stores, Curtis appreciates the ways that A Pet’s Life goes above-and-beyond for it’s customers.
“We go farther than most when it comes to customer care. That, and the different treats and products, make A Pet’s Life special.”
- Current pet: A five-and-a-half-year-old cat named Norman
- Favourite product: Plaque-off. “It’s a simple daily food additive to keep your pet’s teeth free of plaque. Works great!”