Sarah Kaufman just signed a four fight deal and another shot at the Strikeforce MMA world title.

Sarah Kaufman’s MMA title watch begins

Former world mixed martial arts champ Sarah Kaufman waits for a shot at fighting Miesha Tate

The clock is counting down for Sarah Kaufman’s title fight.

Last week, the 26-year-old Kaufman signed a four-fight deal with Strikeforce, her longest commitment from the mixed martial arts organization to date.

But the former MMA world champ is a little worried the cocky words of an inexperienced fighter could get in her way.

There’s been enough of a delay as it is. Kaufman fought just twice in 2011, including one arranged locally by the Victoria-based Armageddon Fighting Championship.

And now Kaufman has “her fingers crossed for a February date.”

Currently there is no fight scheduled for (135-pound) champion Miesha Tate. But Kaufman wants nothing else, having defeated Tate in their only previous meeting back in 2009.

“I’m hoping to find out about a fight date really soon. I’ll be upset if it’s not Miesha,” said Kaufman, who trains and teachers full-time out of the Zuma martial arts gym in Vic West and is ready for the nod.

Kaufman’s last fight was a win over Liz Carmouche at Strikeforce Challengers No. 17 in July.

It was Kaufman’s first Strikeforce fight since losing the title to Marloes Coenen in October 2010.

Coenen, however, then lost the belt to Tate and has since left the organization. With Coenen out, Kaufman is the likely successor as the No. 1 contender in line to challenge Tate. At least on paper.

But upstart Ronda Rousey, a former U.S. bronze medalist in judo, is garnering attention in the sports pages because of her candid interviews. Kaufman is praying that publicity doesn’t earn Rousey a chance to leapfrog everyone and fight Tate for the Strikeforce bantamweight title.

“If Rousey gets the title fight, it’s ridiculous, I’d be pretty upset. Rousey has been running her mouth off.”

Rousey’s rise especially parallels that of Carmouche, who was fast-tracked into Strikeforce with just five pro wins, but subsequently lost to Coenen and Kaufman.

Kaufman also said this week that, despite speculation, world champ Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos is unlikely to drop from the 145 lb. category to 135 lb.

“It would be in search of competition, which she’s having a hard time finding at her level. But, realistically I don’t think she’ll be able to make weight,” Kaufman said.

“(Santos) walks around over 170 lb.; it would definitely hinder her performance. Cutting to 145 is a tough stretch as it is.”

Strikeforce remains the highest platform for female MMA fighters, with Kaufman one of the top pound-for-pound fighters in the world.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Renowned Oak Bay floral arranger debuts first book

Instagram star Christin Geall combines photography, floral arrangements

UPDATED: Bear spotted walking on sidewalk near Uptown

Urban sightings prompt warnings from Saanich Police Department

Victoria police make arrest in connection to string of James Bay fires

50-year-old man faces recommended arson charges for May 14 fires

Unleashed pups not permitted in some Saanich parks

Residents reminded of summer dog restrictions within district

Colwood drive-thru window smashed after suspect receives burger without mustard

Wendy’s staff call police after man allegedly rips Plexiglas barrier off window

If Trudeau won’t stand up to Trump, how will regular people: Singh

Trudeau did not directly answer a question about Trump’s actions amid protests

POLL: Are you sending your children back to school this month?

Classrooms looked decidedly different when students headed back to school for the… Continue reading

As two B.C. offices see outbreaks, Dr. Henry warns tests don’t replace other measures

Physical distancing, PPE and sanitizing remain key to reduce COVID-19 spread

Murder charge upgraded in George Floyd case, 3 other cops charged

Floyd’s family and protesters have repeatedly called for criminal charges against all four officers

Friendly Cove and Kyuquot will remain closed until further notice

Transition of other B.C. communities will be monitored before a decision to ease restrictions

Racist incident shocks Vancouver Island First Nation

Port Alberni RCMP investigating after video shows truck wheeling through Tseshaht territory

Gold River organizes a shop local initiative to creatively boost economy

Local purchases can earn shoppers $200 gift certificates to be spent on businesses within Gold River

Young killer whale untangles itself from trap line off Nanaimo shore

DFO marine mammal rescue unit was en route as whale broke free from prawn trap line

B.C. schools see 30% of expected enrolment as in-class teaching restarts amid pandemic

Education minister noted that in-class instruction remains optional

Most Read