Former world kickboxing champ Stan Peterec to fight in fifth decade

53-year-old former world kickboxing champion Stan Peterec loses 45 pounds, ready to fight at Summer Slugfest VI, in Victoria Aug. 25

Stan Peterec is fighting for the first time in 12 years. The former world kickboxing champ headlines Summer Slugfest VI at Archie Browning Sports Centre on Saturday night. At 53

It’s been awhile since Stan Peterec looked this good.

The 53-year-old former world kickboxing champion dropped 45 pounds earlier this year during two months of training and coaching in Thailand.

With the lost weight, he’s feeling good. So good, he’s getting back in the ring for the first time in more than a decade.

This Saturday (Aug. 25) Peterec is headlining his annual event, Summer Slugfest VI, at Archie Browning Sports Centre.

“When you’re fighting at this age, your heart and mind are in the right place,” Peterec said. “But the vehicle that is your body doesn’t run like it did.”

Peterec last fought in 2000, a rematch of his 1997 mixed martial arts tilt with Dragyn Yoyanovic at the old Memorial Arena.

“Stan still hits hard, which is what he’s known for,” said kickboxer Linsday Ball.

The student of Peterec’s is a current world and Canadian title belt holder in the featherweight category, and regularly trains one-on-one with Peterec.

Until this year, Ball didn’t hold the pads for Peterec in training sessions. But she now knows what Peterec is all about.

“I’ve been bruised on my face and knocked to the ground from training sessions, even with the pads. You have to beware.”

Ball spent the better part of the past year in Thailand, where she won a world title and then a world tournament in Korea. Peterec joined her at the same gym in February, and started “dropping weight like crazy.”

“All of a sudden I lost 45 pounds, I was training and jogging everyday,” Peterec said.

“He has the skills, so to watch him get into shape – it’s scary,” Ball said. “He started to out run me.”

Ball is also fighting on Saturday night, against Kate McGraw from Los Angeles, Calif.

“I’ve never seen Stan fight so I’m very excited.”

Ticket sales and feedback are evidence that fans are excited to see Peterec back in the ring.

Naturally at 53, there are also some who are worried about him, including himself. For starters, he’s fighting a 30-year-old named Tracy Hebert.

“I’ve had most of my old pals saying ‘Why are you fighting this guy?’” Peterec said. “‘Take an easier fight,’ they tell me. And here I am taking on an in-your-face, high cardio guy who comes right at you.”

About 10 years ago, Hebert came to Peterec’s for a few weeks to train and the two actually sparred, so they know a little bit about each other. Enough for Peterec to know he’s facing a very fit opponent.

“If I don’t knock (Hebert) out, I’ll have to work like a dog to keep him from killing me.”

Peterec has been organizing kickboxing and MMA fight cards since the ’90s, and fought a few times in the earlier days of MMA. But now he’s returning to kickboxing, the sport in which he was dominant as a world champion.

Peterec also wants to be the first Canadian to fight in five different decades.

“(Panamanian fighter) Roberto Duran is famous for it, and Jack Johnson did it too. But I’ve searched, and asked around, and I can’t find any record of a Canadian having done it.”

Tickets are available at Sports Traders, 508 Discovery St., and Peterec’s Gym, 831 Fisgard St. Doors open at 6, fights at 7 p.m.

Also on the bill are local favourites Hal Kreisel, Mike Downey, Alex Tribe and Rob Doerksen.

 

Kickboxer Gabriel Varga on world stage

World champion kickboxer Gabriel Varga of Saanich has signed a contract to expand his career as a pro fighter.

Varga, a former student of Stan Peterec, currently holds the World Kickboxing Network and World Kickboxing Federation belts in the super lightweight weight class of 135 to 140 pounds.

The Lambrick Park secondary grad will realize his dreams next month by fighting in the K-1 organization in Los Angeles on Sept. 8.  Varga, 24, will face Lerdsila Chumpairtour, 31, who has over 230 fights.

Later this year Varga, who was the headliner of Summer Slugfest I in 2007, will achieve another goal, as he received permission to fight for the International Sport Karate Association’s pro title.

 

 

Just Posted

Oak Bay father tells court he attempted suicide a month before daughters’ murders

Andrew Berry takes stand in his defense for December 2017 deaths of young daughters

UPDATED: Kelly Ellard gets day parole extended for six more months, overnight leave

Ellard was convicted of killing 14-year-old Reena Virk in 1997

Two Victoria storytellers win $50k to create documentaries

Telus Storyhive grants awarded to 30 filmmakers across B.C. and Alberta

Tours showcase sculptures, art demos in final week of Oak Bay’s Arts and Culture Days

Arts and Culture Days ends with community picnic at Carnarvon Park on Aug. 29

Junior Shamrocks drop Minto Cup opener

Rick Stiebel/News Staff Despite a furious third-period rally, the Victoria Junior A… Continue reading

Trudeau vows to stand firm against ‘increasingly assertive’ China

China has accused Canada of meddling in its affairs

Greater Victoria wanted list for the week of Aug. 23

Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers is seeking the public’s help in locating the… Continue reading

POLL: Should there be a ban on gas-powered leaf blowers?

We’ve all heard them, and most likely cursed them under our breath.… Continue reading

B.C. family stranded in Croatia desperate to come home

Funds being raised to bring back mom and two children

$5-million lotto ticket sold in Nanaimo

Someone matched all six numbers in Wednesday’s 6/49 draw

‘Plenty of time for a deal’: Teachers’ union expects kids back in school on Sept. 3

BCTF says class size, composition at the heart of the issue

Province funds new shuttle buses for 13 B.C. senior centres

Activity, socializing helps maintain health, Adrian Dix says

BREAKING: Province approves Surrey police force

Minister of Public Safety Mike Farnworth green-lights city’s municipal police force

Police watchdog investigating two officers after Langley teen’s suspected overdose

According to IIO, two officers were deployed to help Carson Crimeni but did not locate him before he died

Most Read