Re: Feminism gone too far in Canada (Off the Notepad, March 4)
This is just to reassure Erin Cardone, feminism is still all about equality. Unfortunately, we’re not there yet.
Here’s a few facts she might also want to consider:
– Women make up half the paid workforce but take home 20 per cent less pay.
– Women make up 53 per cent of the world’s population but own only one per cent of the world’s wealth.
– In Canada, women hold 11 per cent of the seats on corporate boards and 21 per cent of the seats in Parliament.
– If a stay-at-home mom got paid market value wages, she would earn $117,867 a year.
– In Canada, men perform an average of 2.5 hours per day of unpaid work at home while women do an average of 4.3 hours.
– According to the Gender Gap Report, Canada ranks 20th, behind Sri Lanka, Latvia and the U.S.
Under the Harper Conservative government, the status of Canadian women has regressed significantly. Thank God (if she exists) for feminists of all ages who continue to advocate for women’s equality both within and outside the home, despite criticism from those who benefit from their ongoing efforts.