Cull cost climbing too high

Government funded agencies must have the meat federally inspected as there is talk of tainted meat in a stressed animal.

When Oak Bay decided on a deer cull last year the mayor said they would kill 25 deer and the cost would be $12,500 or $500 per deer.

Last week an anonymous hunter who called himself Fred was on a radio show in Victoria saying he has had numerous closed door meetings with the mayor of Oak Bay and the CAO and had offered his services.

As he is a bow hunter he claimed he could take out the 25 deer in a three to six month time frame all stealthily without the population knowing it.

He is restricted to hunting in daylight and not in parks or near structures or roads. His offer was refused. What was baffling him the most was the amount of money Oak Bay and the CRD have allocated to this cull.

He further said that if he killed the deer the meat would be given to First Nations, families in need and any agency that is not funded by the government.

Government funded agencies must have the meat federally inspected as there is talk of tainted meat in a stressed animal.

He firmly believes his method of hunting is much more humane than trapping and killing the deer with a bolt gun, which is ironic as the mayor and provincial vet seem to be the only people that believe the trap method is humane.

And we were led to believe it was $12,500. Unfortunately the plot thickens!

William Jesse

Oak Bay

 

Just Posted

Shaving minutes off commutes among the goals for Victoria bus lanes

Work on southbound Douglas Street lane between Tolmie and Hillside getting underway

Backyard of $2.2M Uplands property bulldozed for BMX jump track

34-year-old financial advisor fulfills childhood dream

VicPD nab distracted driver with expired licence

On the phone while in motion, man had overdue fines from driving while impaired

Gallery: Turnout good for Oak Bay’s inaugural volunteer fare

Oak Bay showcased non-profits and more with inaugural volunteer fair

Vic-Alert faces tidal wave of registration after tsunami warnings

City of Victoria system is free and provides early warnings of disaster

Mature Garry Oak falls on Beach Drive

150-year-old tree blocks access in front of Oak Bay Beach Hotel

Castlegar homicide victim identified

The victim was 38-year-old Jordan Workman of Castlegar, B.C.

B.C. Liberal leadership candidates get one last prime-time pitch

Leadership campaign to be decided in Feb. 3 vote

How high is safe from a tsunami? Four metres above sea level

Be disaster ready with food, water and clothing for seven days

Victoria Film Festival set for triumphant return to the big screen

Two decades on, diverse film lineups keep movie-goers coming to the box office

Victoria’s most wanted for the week of Jan. 23

Crime Stoppers will pay a reward of up to $2,000 for information that leads to arrests or the seizure of property or drug

Andrew Scheer on trade, Trump and Trudeau

Canada’s Conservative leader begins three-day visit to B.C.

Bell Canada alert prompts RCMP, privacy watchdog to probe data breach

Company spokesman: ‘Fewer than 100,000 customers were affected’

Victims restrained, sex toys and cash stolen from B.C. adult store

Armed suspects sought in adult store robbery