Wildfire evacuees told to double-check evacuation orders before driving home

RCMP say several people have been turned away because orders were not yet lifted for their areas

Provincial officials are warning those affected by wildfires to double-check that evacuation orders have indeed been lifted for their homes before returning, after police say several people had to be turned away.

Several people showed up at checkpoints after the order was rescinded on Thursday for parts of the Cariboo Regional District, said RCMP Sgt. Annie Linteau, only to find out that they still weren’t allowed back into their neighbourhoods.

“Many of these people and been driving quite a while and unfortunately had to be turned away,” Linteau told reporters on Friday.

Residents are encouraged to check out the regional district website for details on evacuation orders and alerts.

Meanwhile, wildfire officails report 12 new fires that sparked on Thursday, bringing the total number of fires currently burning in B.C. to 149. The estimated cost for the BC Wildfire Service to fight the blazes stands at $160.8 million.

The Elephant Hill fire, near Cache Creek, is at 70,000 hectares and is 30-per-cent contained, while the Monte Lake fire southeast of Kamloops has burned through 150 hectares and is also 30-per-cent contained.

“The air tanker base in Kamloops set a single-day record for the amount of retardant used,” said chief fire information officer Kevin Skrepnek. “Almost 600,000 litres.”

Slightly more than 5,000 people are still not allowed to go home around the province because of evacuation orders.

Meanwhile, BC Hydro has returned electricity to almost all customers, save for about 100.

Officials plan to have more information next week as to how much property damage the fires have caused so far.


laura.baziuk@bpdigital.ca

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

Moose Hide campaign takes message to Canadian schools

Campaign launches new K-12 education platform

Lost wedding ring found on Valentine’s Day

Dan Milbrath’s ring is back where it belongs

Runners invited to get set for the 40th annual Goodlife Marathon

More than 9,000 runners expected to pack Victoria streets in October

Victoria installation for the blind causes problems for those with mobility issues

The truncated domes installed at Blanshard and Fort streets aren’t helpful for everyone

Fire destroys South Island Concrete building in Sooke

No injuries resulted from large structure fire

Trudeau’s principal secretary, Gerald Butts, resigns amid SNC-Lavalin furor

Butts categorically denies the accusation that he or anyone else in the PMO improperly pressured former attorney general Jody Wilson-Raybould

Poverty coalition has high hopes for B.C. poverty reduction strategy

Funding allocation expected to be released with 2019 budget

‘How did we get here?’: B.C. mom of transplant recipient worries about measles outbreaks

Addison, 7, cannot get a live vaccine because she has a heart transplant

Steelhead LNG stops work on Kwispaa LNG project near Bamfield

Huu-ay-aht First Nations ‘deeply disappointed; Steelhead says funding is the problem

NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh calls for public inquiry over SNC-Lavalin questions

Vancouver member of Parliament Jody Wilson-Raybould resigned from cabinet last week

Canadian airlines waiting for guidance from Ottawa over X gender option

Major U.S. airlines said they will change their process so passengers can identify themselves along non-binary lines

‘Violent’ B.C. man wanted on Canada-wide warrant

Prince George man with ties to Vernon sought by police

Homicide police investigate assault turned deadly in Surrey

60-year-old man died at hospital after assault

Deported B.C. man who came to Canada as a baby granted chance at return

Len Van Heest was deported to the Netherlands in 2017

Most Read