Saanich plans to build a pedestrian walkway across the Gorge before starting the Craigflower bridge replacement project this spring.

Temporary footbridge to lead Craigflower bridge rebuild

Construction on the Craigflower Bridge will begin earlier than expected, as crews are slated to begin work on a pedestrian walkway in April.

Construction on the Craigflower Bridge will begin earlier than expected, as crews are slated to begin work on a pedestrian walkway in April.

The 80-year-old, timber-beam span is slated to be replaced by three-lane steel bridge, double the width of the existing bridge. Construction was originally set for June, but that work will now commence in the spring.

While Admiral’s Road will be closed for seven months, Saanich and View Royal, which share responsibility of the bridge, needed to find a way to get pedestrians across the Gorge Waterway.

The construction tender will be released later this month, and the municipalities aim to have a building contract awarded by late February.

Jim Hemstock, Saanich’s manager of capital works, says included in the tender are plans for a temporary walkway over the Gorge Waterway.

“We have to do the pedestrian bridge first. Now that we’re closing the road during a school year, we’ve got to get that pedestrian bridge up (before the old bridge comes down). We could start on the pedestrian bridge in April,” he said.

The cost of the project is now estimated at $11.9 million, up from the original price tag of $10.775 million.

Hemstock says that’s because the project received an additional $775,000 grant from the Capital Regional District, on top of a previously approved $10 million gas tax injection.

“We had to keep the difference that we had tacked on initially because there’s certain costs that aren’t eligible (to be paid for by the grant money),” he said. “It won’t cover staff costs, land purchases, that kind of thing. So the grant is $10.775 million and the balance is going to cover ineligible costs.”

Saanich and View Royal will split the outstanding $1.125 million bill, with Saanich footing 60 per cent of it, about $675,000. That’s $200,000 more that Saanich will pay than originally estimated.

View Royal is committed to cover the other 40 per cent, about $450,000, which is about $170,000 more than originally budgeted.

Hemstock reiterated that the numbers are just estimates right now, and nothing will be concrete until the contract is awarded.

kslavin@saanichnews.com

 

Just Posted

Student group seeks cap on international tuition fees

UVic increased international fees 20 per cent for 2018-19

West Shore firefighters answer call to battle fires in north-central B.C.

Crews to help with structural fire protection in Fort St. James

Esquimalt man faces four charges of sexual assault, investigators suspect more victims

71-year old Kit Wong practiced acupuncture from his home during the time of the assaults

Heat and smoke raises health risks

Rick Stiebel - Sooke News Mirror Health risks arising from heat and… Continue reading

Victoria’s Global Village Store celebrates 30 years in business

The City’s first free-trade store sells products from 28 countries around the world

Interim GoFundMe payments approved in Humboldt Broncos crash

$50,000 to be given to each of the 13 survivors and each family of the 16 people who died

Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers wanted list for the week of Aug. 14

Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers is seeking the public’s help in locating the… Continue reading

Altidore nets 3 as Toronto drubs Whitecaps 5-2

Vancouver falls 7-4 on aggregate in Canadian Championship final

Ottawa intervenes to get B.C. ball player, 13, to Little League World Series

Before immigration issue was resolved, Dio Gama was out practicing the game he loves Wednesday

Pet goldfish invades small B.C. lake

Pinecrest Lake is located between Whistler and Squamish

Mounties deployed to help B.C. communities affected by wildfires

RCMP officers heading to places particularly within central, northern and southern B.C.

Quebec sets aside $900 million for companies hurt by U.S. tariffs

Premier Philippe Couillard says his government will make $863 million available over five years

Most Read