Draft concept plan A for the proposed redevelopment of Carnarvon Park. (Courtesy of District of Oak Bay)

Draft concept plan A for the proposed redevelopment of Carnarvon Park. (Courtesy of District of Oak Bay)

Residents dismayed after tennis courts left out of Oak Bay park redevelopment proposal

“This is a loss for the community,” says local mother of avid players

Some members of the Oak Bay tennis community were not pleased with the initial renderings for the proposed redevelopment of a local park.

That’s because the two draft concept plans for the proposed redevelopment of Carnarvon Park, developed by Lees and Associates, do not include tennis courts.

“As a parent of two avid tennis players, and as a tennis playing family, we are saddened by the proposal to remove tennis courts at Carnarvon Park as we have enjoyed these courts for many years,” writes local resident Penny Lloyd in an email to Oak Bay council members and District staff Friday.

“With a fast-growing tennis community in Victoria, this is a loss for the community and for our competitive tennis youth players,” she adds in the email, urging the municipality to reconsider the proposed elimination of tennis courts.

Robert Bettauer, CEO of Pacific Institute for Sport Excellence, called the proposed removal of tennis courts “alarming and unacceptable.”

“Tennis is a major sport in this country; and a lot of youth participate, as well as seniors,” he told Oak Bay News, adding that he has been using the park’s tennis courts himself for the past five years.

But according to Ray Herman, Oak Bay’s director of parks, recreation and culture, the purpose of the draft concept plans was to ask the community for their feedback.

“The Carnarvon courts are our least utilized outdoor courts in Oak Bay, so the concepts showed a different use for the space to see what the community thought,” he said.

The district held two open houses last weekend at the Oak Bay Recreation Centre.

READ MORE: Oak Bay residents to have a say on Carnarvon Park’s redevelopment

“We had excellent participation this past weekend at two open houses, and the boards are still on display at the Oak Bay Recreation Centre, where people continue to put their feedback on sticky notes and post them to the boards,” Herman said.

“We have heard from a number of folks who suggested the courts would be better utilized if they were in better condition, and they would like to see tennis courts included in the next draft plan,” he continued. “This was great feedback for us to consider.”

An online survey, which can be found at bit.ly/2F6bAaz, and will remain open until Nov. 19.

“After Nov. 19 our consultant will gather all of the information received and will work on producing a single draft concept plan, which will be presented to the community in January,” Herman explained. “We will again be asking for feedback to determine if the plan is meeting the needs of the majority of Oak Bay residents.”

Herman added that no final decisions have been made so far when it comes to the park’s redevelopment.

“In fact, we are a few months away from those types of decisions being finalized.”


 

flavio.nienow@oakbaynews.com

Follow us on Instagram
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

oak bay

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

 

Draft concept plan B for the proposed redevelopment of Carnarvon Park. (Courtesy of District of Oak Bay)

Draft concept plan B for the proposed redevelopment of Carnarvon Park. (Courtesy of District of Oak Bay)

Just Posted

A rendering of Victoria Wonderland, a drive-thru immersive holiday experience that has been cancelled due to COVID-19. (Courtesy of Transcend Victoria)
Victoria Wonderland drive-thru show cancelled due to COVID-19

Organizers hope to host a similar event, if restrictions allow, in the new year

Oak Bay High students Mimi Hill and Aine O’Donnell run along the Jack Wallace Memorial Track. The old track is due to be resurfaced. (Black Press Media File Photo)
Oak Bay track resurfacing delayed

Oak Bay commits $50,000 towards renewed Jack Wallace track

Swiftsure International Yacht Race 2018. (Black Press Media file photo)
Popular Swiftsure yacht race cancelled for second consecutive year

International sailing race hopes to run its 77th event in 2022

Saanich golfer and top B.C. junior and juvenile player Willy Bishop was named to the 2021 Canadian National Junior Golf Squad on Nov. 19. (Photo courtesy Jenny Bishop)
Saanich student to tee-off with national golf team

Willy Bishop, 16, named to Canadian National Junior Golf Squad in 2021

The Oak Bay Police Department has announced plans to purchase the municipality’s first electric marked police vehicle. (Devon Bidal/News Staff)
Electric police vehicle could soon be patroling Oak Bay streets

Oak Bay police plan to purchase first marked electric police vehicle in 2021

Motorists wait to enter a Fraser Health COVID-19 testing facility, in Surrey, B.C., on Monday, Nov. 9, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
Another 694 diagnosed with COVID-19 in B.C. Thursday

Three more health care outbreaks, 12 deaths

(AP Photo/Paula Bronstein)
POLL: Has COVID-19 changed your plans for the holidays?

The lights are going up, the stacks of presents under the tree… Continue reading

Anyone with information on any of these individuals is asked to call 1-800-222-TIPS (8477) or visit the website victoriacrimestoppers.ca for more information.
Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers wanted list for the week of Dec. 1

Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers is seeking the public’s help in locating the… Continue reading

Watch Messiah at home with the Sooke Philharmonic

Concert available to stream Dec. 12

Emergency crews used a backhoe loader to clear fire debris from the scene of a fire on Wesley Street Thursday as police and firefighters gathered up propane tanks, stoves and fireplaces used by camp residents to heat tents. (Chris Bush/News Bulletin)
City of Nanaimo dismantles downtown homeless encampment after fire

Four to six tents burned up in Wesley Street fire Thursday, Dec. 3

A demonstrator wears representations of sea lice outside the Fisheries and Oceans Canada offices in downtown Vancouver Sept. 24, demanding more action on the Cohen Commission recommendations to protect wild Fraser River sockeye. (Quinn Bender photo)
First Nations renew call to revoke salmon farm licences

Leadership council implores use of precautionary principle in Discovery Islands

Ten-month-old Aidan Deschamps poses for a photo with his parents Amanda Sully and Adam Deschamps in this undated handout photo. Ten-month-old Aidan Deschamps was the first baby in Canada to be diagnosed with spinal muscular atrophy through Ontario’s newborn screening program. The test was added to the program six days before he was born. THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO, Children’s Hospital Eastern Ontario *MANDATORY CREDIT*
First newborn tested for spinal muscular atrophy in Canada hits new milestones

‘If Aidan had been born any earlier or anywhere else our story would be quite different’

BC Ambulance Services reassures people that the service is well staffed and ready to respond. Photo by Don Bodger
BC Ambulance assures the Island community they’re ‘fully staffed’

‘Paramedics are not limited to a geographical area.’ — BCEHS

(Pixabay)
Canadians’ mental health has deteriorated with the second wave, study finds

Increased substance use one of the ways people are coping

Most Read