Officers carrying naloxone are credited with a Christmas Eve life-saving.
On Dec. 24 at 5:30 a.m. the West Shore RCMP responded to a call of a 38-year-old man suffering from an accidental overdose at a Langford home.
Officers along with ambulance and the fire department personnel were dispatchedafter a frantic 911 call from a resident within the home.
Police were first on scene and discovered the man had ingested heroine and was unresponsive. Members arrived to a roommate performing CPR.
“Our members are trained in the use of naloxone and carry it on their person. The attending officer recognized the need to administer naloxone to counteract the effects of drug. Two doses of naloxone were administered to the unconscious male who had since stopped breathing altogether. The male gradually woke up and was then taken to the hospital for further care” said Const. Saggar of the West Shore RCMP.
“There is no doubt in my mind that this male would not be alive to celebrate Christmas without the fast response from police, ambulance, Langford fire department and the roommate who performed CPR,” Saggar said. “We want to thank our officer and all parties above for their efforts in saving this man’s life.”
Learn more about the province’s take-home naloxone kit program through the BC Center For Disease Control at towardtheheart.com/naloxone