Saanich police confirmed Sunday that the family of four they are looking for are not missing, but they need assistance locating them for unknown reasons. (Photo via the Saanich Police Department)

Saanich police confirmed Sunday that the family of four they are looking for are not missing, but they need assistance locating them for unknown reasons. (Photo via the Saanich Police Department)

UPDATED: Saanich police say ‘missing’ family is safe, investigation closed

Police were working to ‘ensure the safety of the children,’ officer says

Saanich Police say a family reported missing last month have been located safe.

On Sept. 12, the department asked for help locating Bradley Cook, Melissa Trost and their two children who they believed to be travelling in B.C. or Alberta. Police say they were seeking information on the family’s whereabouts in order to assess their well-being.

The family themselves responded to the plea, telling media they were not missing at all. Saanich Police confirmed, shortly after, that the family wasn’t missing but that police wanted to locate them to “ensure the safety of the children.”

Saanich Police now say the family has been located and all members are safe. Const. Markus Anastasiades, public information officer for the Saanich police, said the investigation is closed.

“Investigators have now concluded this investigation and no further information will be released at this time.”

***

(Original release)

Police have confirmed the Saanich family that they are trying to find after failing to return back in Victoria for more than a week are not missing.

On Saturday, Sept. 12, Saanich Police Department issued an alert about a family of four whose whereabouts were unknown.

According to police, Bradley Michael Cook, 42, Melissa Renee Trost, 40, and their two young children, ages 4 and 2, were believed to be travelling somewhere in eastern B.C. or Alberta. They’d planned to return to Victoria on Sept. 4 but have not been seen.

A television station in Edmonton had reported they received an email from a man claiming to be Cook, saying that they weren’t missing and the police knew it.

The Saanich family then reportedly sent two photos to the Edmonton television station, each with one parent holding both their kids with a hand-written note for confirmation.

In several emails to the television station, the man claims their family is in a legal dispute involving the Saanich police department.

On Sunday morning, Cook told the television station that their family was in Edmonton.

Sgt. Markus Anastasiades, Saanich police media communications officer, confirmed in an email Sunday that the detachment wasn’t available for comment, but will have further discussions with investigators Monday.

READ ALSO: MISSING: VicPD continue search for high-risk missing 18-year-old


@devonscarlett
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

devon.bidal@saanichnews.com

AlbertaBritish Columbiamissing personSaanich Police Department

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Sipili Molia, regional kettle manager, shows off the Salvation Army’s new contactless donation system for the 2020 Christmas Kettle Campaign outside municipal hall on Dec. 1. (Devon Bidal/News Staff)
VIDEO: Tech offers hope as Salvation Army sees need skyrocket across B.C.

Charity is equipping hundreds of kettles across B.C. with ‘touchless giving technology’

Kathy MacNeil, president and chief executive officer of Island Health, Dawn Thomas, acting deputy health minister and Island Health’s vice president, Indigenous health and diversity and Chief Don Tom of Tsartlip First Nation, stand out Saanich Peninsula Hospital Tuesday morning, when they also answered questions about a new report that “widespread systemic racism against Indigenous people” in the provincial health care system. (Island Health/Submitted)
Head of Island Health says Saanich Peninsula Hospital not part of racist guessing game

Tsartlip First Nations Chief Don Tom welcomes changes following report but promises future scrutiny

The Capital Regional District and the Habitat Acquisition Fund have agreed to partner on the purchase of the $3.4-million Mountain View Forest in Saanich to establish a new regional park. (Photo courtesy the Habitat Acquisition Trust)
CRD, Habitat Acquisition Trust to spend $3.4M on 20-hectare forest park in Saanich

Mountian Road Forest property to be conserved as regional park

Caroline Sousa, Bela Spick and her son Mateo marched along Prospect Lake Road in November 2019 to bring attention to the unsafe conditions on the road. (Black Press Media file photo)
Saanich reduces Prospect Lake Road speed limit to 30 km/h

New speed limit in effect as of Dec. 1 from Goward Road to Estelline Road

Royal Bay Secondary’s leadership class, comprised of Grade 9 through 12 students, is part of the student team organizing this year’s 10,000 Tonight event that shifts entirely online for 2020. (Aaron Guillen/News Staff)
West Shore student food drive shifts entirely online

Drive-thru option removed from 10,000 Tonight in light of COVID-19 restrictions

A tongue-in-cheek message about wearing a face mask to curb the spread of COVID-19 on a sign outside a church near Royal Columbia Hospital, in New Westminster, B.C., on Sunday, Nov. 29, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
B.C.’s COVID-19 infection count climbs back up to 656

20 more people in hospital, active cases still rising

Dave Wallace coached the Parksville Royals for 23 years. (PQB News file photo)
B.C. baseball community mourns death of legendary Vancouver Island coach Dave Wallace

‘All who knew Dave and his passion for the game will miss him greatly’

THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nathan Denette
B.C. researchers launch study to test kids, young adults for COVID-19 antibodies

Kids and youth can often be asymptomatic carriers of the novel coronavirus

A sign is seen this past summer outside the Yunesit’in Government office west of Williams Lake reminding visitors and members to stay safe amid the COVID-19 pandemic. (Rebecca Dyok photo)
B.C. First Nation leaders await privacy commissioner decision on COVID-19 information

Release of life-saving data cannot wait, says coalition of First Nations

MLA Jennifer Whiteside is B.C.’s new minister of education. She is speaking out against Chilliwack school trustee Barry Neufeld and asking him to resign. (Black Press)
New education minister calls on Chilliwack trustee to resign

Whiteside echoes former minister’s promise to look at options to remove Barry Neufeld

Peter Beckett. ~ File photo
Supreme Court of Canada to decide if it will hear appeal in 2010 wife murder trial

Peter Beckett has stood trial twice for murder in connection with the death of his wife, Laura Letts-Beckett

Tabor Home in Abbotsford. (Ben Lypka/Abbotsford News)
B.C.’s largest COVID-19 care-home outbreak records 19 deaths, 147 cases

Tabor Home in Abbotsford has been battling outbreak since Nov. 4

Most Read