Goldstream Park campground remains closed with no word from the Ministry of Environment when it will reopen. (Lindsey Horsting/News staff)

Langford mayor calls for campground cleanup

Lack of communication from the Ministry makes residents ‘suspicious’

Residents wonder when Goldstream Park campground will reopen, but Langford Mayor Stew Young said cleanup should have been done already.

The campground remains closed with no word from the Ministry of Environment as to when it will reopen. The tent city group, Camp Namegans, settled in the campground for two weeks until their departure Oct. 2.

RELATED: Goldstream Park campground remains closed

Young hasn’t had any communication from the Ministry and said the neighbourhood behind the campground wants cleanup of the park done right away so they can enjoy it again.

“It’s devastated them, it’s their playground, it’s why some of them moved there,” he said. “It’s terrible and should have never happened in the first place.”

READ ALSO: Homeless campers packing to leave private Saanich property

Since tent city set up in Goldstream Park it has cost Langford and the province money, he said, while the federal government has done nothing. Young said it’s the responsibility of the provincial governments across Canada to get homeless people the help they need and into the appropriate facilities.

“There’s no line item in a municipal budget for this,” he said.

Young pointed to the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing, Ministry of Mental Health and Addictions and Ministry of Social Development and Poverty, that have a combined budget of just over $3.8 billion, to be dealing with this problem.

RELATED: Homeless campers pack to leave private Saanich property

Andrew Brown, a Langford resident near the campground, said the lack of communication by the Ministry of Environment makes residents suspicious.

“There’s something we’re not being told and there’s no reason for it,” he said.

Brown used to walk his dog in the park, but because access has been cut off at the trails, he now has to access them off the Trans Canada Highway.

“The main gain is locked off with four or five security guards which is a huge expense to the public with no benefit and it’s bloody inconvenient for us,” Brown said, noting the community is furious that the park is still closed. He has noticed many residents haven’t been out walking since convenient access to the park has been cut off.


Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

lindsey.horsting@goldstreamgazette.com

Just Posted

Moose Hide campaign takes message to Canadian schools

Campaign launches new K-12 education platform

Lost wedding ring found on Valentine’s Day

Dan Milbrath’s ring is back where it belongs

Runners invited to get set for the 40th annual Goodlife Marathon

More than 9,000 runners expected to pack Victoria streets in October

Victoria installation for the blind causes problems for those with mobility issues

The truncated domes installed at Blanshard and Fort streets aren’t helpful for everyone

Fire destroys South Island Concrete building in Sooke

No injuries resulted from large structure fire

Trudeau’s principal secretary, Gerald Butts, resigns amid SNC-Lavalin furor

Butts categorically denies the accusation that he or anyone else in the PMO improperly pressured former attorney general Jody Wilson-Raybould

Poverty coalition has high hopes for B.C. poverty reduction strategy

Funding allocation expected to be released with 2019 budget

‘How did we get here?’: B.C. mom of transplant recipient worries about measles outbreaks

Addison, 7, cannot get a live vaccine because she has a heart transplant

Steelhead LNG stops work on Kwispaa LNG project near Bamfield

Huu-ay-aht First Nations ‘deeply disappointed; Steelhead says funding is the problem

NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh calls for public inquiry over SNC-Lavalin questions

Vancouver member of Parliament Jody Wilson-Raybould resigned from cabinet last week

Canadian airlines waiting for guidance from Ottawa over X gender option

Major U.S. airlines said they will change their process so passengers can identify themselves along non-binary lines

‘Violent’ B.C. man wanted on Canada-wide warrant

Prince George man with ties to Vernon sought by police

Homicide police investigate assault turned deadly in Surrey

60-year-old man died at hospital after assault

Deported B.C. man who came to Canada as a baby granted chance at return

Len Van Heest was deported to the Netherlands in 2017

Most Read