Site C dam on the Peace River is budgeted to cost $8.8 billion to construct

Judge orders Site C protest camp removed

Latest court loss for opponents of Peace River dam allows land clearing upstream of dam site

BC Hydro has been granted a court injunction to remove a protest camp set up to block land clearing for the Site C dam project near Fort St. John.

It’s the latest in a series of losses in court for opponents of the dam, a group of landowners and representatives of local First Nations in the Peace River region.

Energy and Mines Minister Bill Bennett said the project has gone through an “exhaustive” environmental and social impact process, and has received federal and provincial permits.

The joint federal-provincial panel that reviewed Site C found that consultations with First Nations in Alberta and B.C. were “complete and comprehensive,” Bennett said.

“We want to build this project on time, on budget, we can’t afford unnecessary delays, and this ruling helps us keep the project moving forward,” Bennett said.

“So far we’ve had no delays caused by court actions or anything else for that matter. We’ve got more than $3 billion in contracts committed today, and we’re at roughly one third in terms of the total amount committed.”

Protesters led by Ken and Arlene Boone, whose farm will be flooded by the third dam on the Peace River, moved two small buildings into the site of Rocky Mountain Fort, one of the earliest fur trading forts in B.C. and have occupied the site since December.

 

Just Posted

Shaving minutes off commutes among the goals for Victoria bus lanes

Work on southbound Douglas Street lane between Tolmie and Hillside getting underway

Backyard of $2.2M Uplands property bulldozed for BMX jump track

34-year-old financial advisor fulfills childhood dream

VicPD nab distracted driver with expired licence

On the phone while in motion, man had overdue fines from driving while impaired

Gallery: Turnout good for Oak Bay’s inaugural volunteer fare

Oak Bay showcased non-profits and more with inaugural volunteer fair

Vic-Alert faces tidal wave of registration after tsunami warnings

City of Victoria system is free and provides early warnings of disaster

Mature Garry Oak falls on Beach Drive

150-year-old tree blocks access in front of Oak Bay Beach Hotel

Castlegar homicide victim identified

The victim was 38-year-old Jordan Workman of Castlegar, B.C.

B.C. Liberals get one last prime-time pitch

Leadership campaign to be decided in Feb. 3 vote

How high is safe from a tsunami? Four metres above sea level

Be disaster ready with food, water and clothing for seven days

Victoria Film Festival set for triumphant return to the big screen

Two decades on, diverse film lineups keep movie-goers coming to the box office

Victoria’s most wanted for the week of Jan. 23

Crime Stoppers will pay a reward of up to $2,000 for information that leads to arrests or the seizure of property or drug

Andrew Scheer on trade, Trump and Trudeau

Canada’s Conservative leader begins three-day visit to B.C.

Bell Canada alert prompts RCMP, privacy watchdog to probe data breach

Company spokesman: ‘Fewer than 100,000 customers were affected’

Victims restrained, sex toys and cash stolen from B.C. adult store

Armed suspects sought in adult store robbery

Most Read