A gas leak in Oak Bay closed off a portion of Lansdowne Road earlier today, when a group of workers tore a residential gas line.
The leak prompted six firefighters from the Oak Bay Fire Department to attend the 2300-block of Lansdowne Road, which was closed off at 2:11 p.m. for about an hour and a half.
Firefighters evacuated homes on both sides of the leak while Fortis B.C. inspected the damage and was able to clamp off the line in a stable area of the residential property. Workers had been removing concrete in the ground with a prybar when they tore the line.
No one was injured and the department has monitored air quality in the area to determine it is back to a safe level.
“It’s always a good idea to call before you dig,” said Oak Bay Fire Department acting assistant chief Gord Marshall. “Those lines are often not as deep as you think.”