The newly purchase armoured vehicle from the Greater Victoria Emergency Response Team (GVERT) was used at the Pearkes Arena in Saanich when an aggravated person who claimed to have a gun called 911. (File photo)

Four potential bombs found in Greater Victoria in 2017

The Greater Victoria Emergency Response Team was called to incidents involving explosives

In 2017 specialized police teams diffused four potential bomb findings in Greater Victoria.

Three teams were involved in the incidents. The Greater Victoria Emergency Response Team (GVERT) is a team of critical incident commanders, crisis negotiators and tactical officers from across the Capital Region. Team members are on call 24 hours per day, seven days per week. In addition to this, there is the Victoria Police Department’s Explosive Disposal Unit (EDU) and the RCMP’s Bomb Disposal Unit.

The first incident happened on May 3, in the 500 block of Yates Street.

“It was made to look like an explosive device,” said Victoria Police Department spokesperson Const. Matt Rutherford. “ The RCMP Bomb Disposal Unit was utilized, along with our EDU folks.”

The incident took nine hours to resolve.

READ MORE: Bomb threat at Victoria courthouse

Three weeks later, on May 29, a suspicious package was found in the 3800 block of Epsom Drive in Saanich.

“There was a suspicious package located while excavating near rock and the explosives unit was called out to deal with it,” said Sgt. Jereme Leslie, public affairs officer for the Saanich Police Department.

On July 8, a similar package was also found near rock excavations in the 4700 Block of Rosehill Road.

Lastly, on June 14 suspicious liquid was found at the Hartland landfill.

“There was a dangerous liquid that was discovered that had been dropped off at the location,” Leslie said. ” The explosives unit had to attend and render the liquid safe.”

ALSO READ: Man apprehended after police standoff at Pearkes Arena in Saanich

While the calls all proved to be false, Leslie emphasized that experts don’t know if they’re real or not going in.

“They were calls that dealt with explosive,” he said. “They were real calls for service that required the expertise of the specially trained GVERT members.”

Neither Rutherford nor Leslie could confirm if the numbers had jumped since other years.

In 2018 there were two publicly-reported incidents that used the GVERT.

On Aug. 29 a new armoured rescue vehicle (for which VicPD paid half of the $230,000 value) was used at Pearkes Arena when an alleged gunman called 911 from the lobby. Crisis negotiators were able to deescalate the situation.

In November 2018 the team was called in for a bomb threat at the Victoria Courthouse, which proved to be false.

nicole.crescenzi@vicnews.com


Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

40 BC authors collaborate on new book celebrating the islands of the Salish Sea

Ivan Watson Special to the News Marion Cumming’s hilltop property near McNeil… Continue reading

Showers ahead in Wednesday’s forecast

Plus a look ahead at your weekend

Saanich councillor slams McKenzie Interchange Project

Coun. Judy Brownoff said the project will only create more greenhouses gases and traffic

Fairfield plan ‘counterintuitive’ to affordability aims, says working group member

Plan for Victoria neighbourhood heads to public hearing Sept. 12

Saanich approves new eight- and 11-storey residence buildings for UVic

Residents also supported the environmentally friendly residences

VIDEO: Come along for the ride on Tour de Victoria

Reporter captures video footage of his Tour de Victoria ride

Greater Victoria wanted list for the week of Aug. 23

Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers is seeking the public’s help in locating the… Continue reading

POLL: Should there be a ban on gas-powered leaf blowers?

We’ve all heard them, and most likely cursed them under our breath.… Continue reading

Vancouver Island RCMP hunt for man after pair of indecent exposure incidents

Elderly Qualicum Beach woman grabbed by man who had been masturbating in the woods

Bodies of two missing Surrey men found near Ashcroft

Ryan Provencher and Richard Scurr have been missing since July 17

Pile of wood mulch ‘spontaneously combusts’ at Vancouver Island industrial site

Business owner thanks fire department for quick response

Pregnant teachers fight to change WorkSafeBC compensation rules

Agency does not recognize risk to unborn babies when mother catches illness from work

Families want Island Health to take over seniors home

Letter campaign points out longstanding issues at the Comox Valley residence

Most Read