Computer hackers hit Oak Bay website

No evidence that residents' personal information was compromised

The District of Oak Bay is warning residents that an external and unauthorized access to personal information may have occurred through one of their web services.

The data that was potentially at risk includes personal information of residents who use pre-authorized payment plans for their tax and utility bills. Also potentially affected are customers who use MyDistrict, an online service for tax, utility, bylaw notices, dog and business licence information. The online service does not collect highly sensitive information such as credit or debit card information, social insurance numbers or drivers’ licence information.

In a letter to affected residents, Oak Bay deputy treasurer and IT manager Fernando Pimental said: “As attacks on high profile sites are common, we both monitor and improve our site continuously to ensure security at oakbay.ca. We want to err on the side of caution by providing you with the information we have.”

Notices are being sent to affected customers by email where available and by mail. As a precaution, the district recommends that any residents who have signed up for preauthorized payments monitor their bank accounts and contact their financial institution if they have further concerns. As a further precaution, residents who use MyDistrict are advised to log in and change their password and security question.

The district learned of the potential breach on July 22 and immediately shut down the online service to protect residents’ personal information.

A review of the server did not find evidence that any personal information had been compromised. The affected server was turned off and a new server was brought online on July 23. An independent security consultant has been hired to audit the breach, and ensure ongoing security. Residents will be notified by the district when more information becomes available.

Residents are asked to contact Pimental by email at fpimental@oakbay.ca or by phone at 250-598-3311 during regular business hours if they have any questions or concerns.

Just Posted

Lost Victoria: Story of the Crystal Palace

Historian Stuart Stark launches book about iconic Oak Bay structure that was lost to flames

Mount Douglas Park is not a garbage dump, its firs are not your Christmas tree

Furniture and appliances routinely dumped, rare and native plants routinely stolen from park

Development on grounds of former Victoria Truth Centre sent to public hearing

Controversial project moves forward with revisions to previous plans

GALLERY: Oak Bay senior boys take first game in Gary Taylor basketball tournament

Jordan Burke wins Man of the Match honours in 106-54 win over Cowichan

VIDEO: That’s a wrap: Be a Santa to a Senior packages ready to go out

Program hands out more than 600 gifts to Greater Victoria seniors

VIDEO: That’s a wrap: Be a Santa to a Senior packages ready to go out

Program hands out more than 600 gifts to Greater Victoria seniors

B.C. woman brain injured in crash as a baby gets $1.1 million in damages

Trial heard the woman was 16 months old, being carried by her mother when they were both hit

Victoria cycling advocate makes pitch lor lower speeds on local roads

Group points to evidence suggesting 30 km/h speed limit would save money, lives

Court denies WestJet’s bid to toss out discrimination lawsuit of former worker

Mandalena Lewis is suing WestJet over allegations of gender-based discrimination

Sagmoen neighbours recall alleged hammer attack

Woman was screaming outside Maple Ridge townhouse in 2013

Accused B.C. drug smuggler to be extradited

Supreme Court of Canada upholds extradition order for accused Shuswap drug smuggler, Colin Martin

Island entering the peak of flu season

Island Health says flu shots the best prevention against the virus

One convicted, two cleared in 2014 deaths of men in B.C.’s Cariboo

Andrew Jongbloets convicted of manslaughter in deaths of Matthew Hennigar, 23 and Kalvin Andy, 22

Firefighter dies, thousands more take on California blaze

This is second death linked to the Thomas fire, northwest of Los Angeles

Most Read