Club Penguin announces closure

After 13 years in business, Club Penguin will soon be “sunsetting.”

After 13 years in business, Club Penguin will soon be “sunsetting.”

“When we replaced the original Club Penguin game a year and a half ago, we always strived to make Club Penguin Island the best mobile successor to the original game,” reads a letter posted to the Club Penguin website.

“From day one of development, Club Penguin Island has been a true passion project for everyone here at Disney but, the time has come for the party to end.”

There was no specific closure date mentioned, just that the end would come by the end of the year and players will be provided with all the necessary information in the coming weeks via in-game messages and updates on the company website, Island News.

READ MORE: TIME FOR AN ISLAND ADVENTURE

Lance Priebe, Lane Merrifield and Dave Krysko started Club Penguin in 2004 and in 2007 they sold the virtual world for kids to the Walt Disney Company. The deal was valued at $700 million: $350 million in cash upfront, and another $350 million if performance targets were met through 2009.

Reacting news of the shut-down, Merrifield went to his Facebook account to offer some reassuring words.

“For those of you affected by the layoffs at Club Penguin:

I remember when I first left, one of the weirdest parts was not having anywhere to go every day. That feeling is why we built the Kelowna Innovation Centre as a place for you to come and figure it out,” he wrote in the Sept. 26 post.

Come have breakfast at Gather or a coffee at Blenz in the atrium. Meet another ex-Penguin for a beer on the rooftop at Perch. Do some job hunting or dream up your startup at Accelerate Okanagan… Or pop in to FreshGrade or Wheelhouse just to say ‘Hi.’ Let this be your place to come every morning while you figure out whats next. We’ll keep the coffee warm.”

Club Penguin was one of the longest-running kids’ games of all time and at its height, had over 200 million accounts. Players from countries around the world showed their commitment to the game by adopting 25 million Puffles and creating over 200,000 videos.

To report a typo, email:
newstips@kelownacapnews.com
.


@KelownaNewsKat
kmichaels@kelownacapnews.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

Colwood’s Hatley Castle makes top 10 list of movie locations to travel to

X-Men, Deadpool among movies filmed at Hatley Castle

Oak Bay’s Food Forum closes after 37 years

Open on Christmas Day, the Estevan Village grocery had lovable quirks

UPDATED: Oak Bay father takes stand, denies killing young daughters

Andrew Berry has plead not guilty to the December 2017 deaths of his two daughters

Relative of man found dead in Saanich says he was missing for years

RCMP and a private detective had been searching for him since 2012

Saanich Police warn of counterfeit money being used

Several fake $100 bills have been reported in Greater Victoria

VIDEO: Title of 25th Bond movie is ‘No Time to Die’

The film is set to be released in April 2020

Greater Victoria wanted list for the week of Aug. 23

Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers is seeking the public’s help in locating the… Continue reading

POLL: Should there be a ban on gas-powered leaf blowers?

We’ve all heard them, and most likely cursed them under our breath.… Continue reading

New study suggests autism overdiagnosed: Canadian expert

Laurent Mottron: ‘Autistic people we test now are less and less different than typical people’

Trans Mountain gives contractors 30 days to get workers, supplies ready for pipeline

Crown corporation believes the expansion project could be in service by mid-2022

Rosemount cooked diced chicken linked to listeria case in B.C.

The symptoms of listeria include vomiting, nausea, fever, muscle aches

B.C. seniors allowed more choice to stay in assisted living

Province doesn’t need to wait for a complaint to investigate care, Adrian Dix says

Retired B.C. fisherman wins record $60M Lotto Max jackpot

Joseph Katalinic won the biggest Lotto Max prize ever awarded

Island manslaughter suspect found not guilty in Supreme Court

Court accepts accused’s argument of self-defence for 2017 incident in Courtenay

Most Read