NEWS BULLETIN file photo

Case dropped against former Nanaimo CAO who had allegedly made threats

Special prosecutor advises courts that pursuing peace bond is no longer in the public interest

It’s the conclusion to a legal saga that has dragged on for roughly a year.

Michael Klein, the special prosecutor for the case, officially told the courts today, March 20, that he is dropping the Crown’s case against the City of Nanaimo’s former chief administrative officer Tracy Samra, who had allegedly made threats.

Klein, in a brief submission, told the court the case was “no longer in the public interest.”

Samra was not in the courtroom.

RELATED: Case against former Nanaimo CAO Tracy Samra expected to be dropped

She was arrested on Jan. 31, 2018 for allegedly making threats following an incident at city hall. As a result of the incident, McKay, former city councillor Diane Brennan and current city councillor Sheryl Armstrong as well as Jan Kemp, Gurrie, Donna Stennes, Kim Fowler, Brad McRae and Dominic Jones had reasonable grounds to fear personal harm or injury, according to RCMP.

Crown were initially intending to have the former city manager bound to conditions of a peace bond as a result of that alleged incident.

Briefly speaking to the News Bulletin afterwards, Klein reiterated what he had told the court.

“It’s now been 13 months since the incident occurred. There has been no further suggestion of any breach of any orders and because Mrs. Samra is no longer in the jurisdiction, it just simply isn’t in the public interest to continue on,” he said.

Asked what he would say to those in the community who felt the case was still in the public interest, Klein said he couldn’t answer.

He said the case is officially closed.

Samra was fired from her role with the city by councillors last May. She has since launched a complaint against the City of Nanaimo, McKay and Armstrong with the B.C. Human Rights Tribunal.



nicholas.pescod@nanaimobulletin.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

Colwood’s Hatley Castle makes top 10 list of movie locations to travel to

X-Men, Deadpool among movies filmed at Hatley Castle

Oak Bay’s Food Forum closes after 37 years

Open on Christmas Day, the Estevan Village grocery had lovable quirks

UPDATED: Oak Bay father takes stand, denies killing young daughters

Andrew Berry has plead not guilty to the December 2017 deaths of his two daughters

Relative of man found dead in Saanich says he was missing for years

RCMP and a private detective had been searching for him since 2012

Saanich Police warn of counterfeit money being used

Several fake $100 bills have been reported in Greater Victoria

VIDEO: Title of 25th Bond movie is ‘No Time to Die’

The film is set to be released in April 2020

Greater Victoria wanted list for the week of Aug. 23

Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers is seeking the public’s help in locating the… Continue reading

POLL: Should there be a ban on gas-powered leaf blowers?

We’ve all heard them, and most likely cursed them under our breath.… Continue reading

New study suggests autism overdiagnosed: Canadian expert

Laurent Mottron: ‘Autistic people we test now are less and less different than typical people’

Trans Mountain gives contractors 30 days to get workers, supplies ready for pipeline

Crown corporation believes the expansion project could be in service by mid-2022

Rosemount cooked diced chicken linked to listeria case in B.C.

The symptoms of listeria include vomiting, nausea, fever, muscle aches

B.C. seniors allowed more choice to stay in assisted living

Province doesn’t need to wait for a complaint to investigate care, Adrian Dix says

Retired B.C. fisherman wins record $60M Lotto Max jackpot

Joseph Katalinic won the biggest Lotto Max prize ever awarded

Island manslaughter suspect found not guilty in Supreme Court

Court accepts accused’s argument of self-defence for 2017 incident in Courtenay

Most Read