A butane torch has been determined as the cause for the fire that sent four post-secondary students out of their home in the 100-block of Atkins Road in View Royal on Saturday, Dec. 7. (Photo courtesy of View Royal Fire Chief Paul Hurst)

Butane torch caused View Royal fire that displaced four students

Home has ‘gutted’ laundry room, burnt kitchen and smoke damage throughout

View Royal Fire Rescue says a butane torch was the cause of a house fire that sent four residents out of their home on Saturday, Dec. 7.

According to Assistant Chief Rob Marshall, the torch was used to light cigarettes. The fire is being treated as accidental, not intentional.

“The residents will be out of the house for a while, as we’ve determined that there are asbestos issues in the home too,” Marshall said.

Fire crews were called to the 100-block of Atkins Road around 10:30 a.m on Dec. 7. after receiving reports of a house on fire.

The fire was “pretty substantial” according to View Royal Fire Chief Paul Hurst, but was quickly knocked down after crews arrived.

READ MORE: House fire in View Royal sends one to hospital Saturday morning

ALSO READ: Four Mile Pub plans to re-open by January 2020

Officials were able to narrow the origin of the fire to the now “gutted” laundry room. In addition, parts of the kitchen are burnt, the electrical system is compromised and the rest of the house has smoke damage.

One person was taken to hospital with burns and is currently recovering.

Marshall confirmed the occupants are post-secondary students, so they are home with their families over the holidays. But the damage done to the house leaves the chance of moving back in at the beginning of the new year in question.

–with files from Devon Bidal

aaron.guillen@goldstreamgazette.com


@iaaronguillen
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Saanich police arrest suspect in arson spree near Camosun College Lansdowne campus

Calgary man in police custody waiting for a tele-bail hearing, constable says

Mental Health: A look at a fractured system

In this special series, Black Press Media reporters share stories from across Greater Victoria

VIDEO: Man breaks up Saanich road rage fight

Two men were throwing punches on Tillicum Road

‘We’re running out of options’: Victoria looks to other municipalities to help shelter homeless

Victoria Curling Club, Crystal Pool ruled out as options for the 250 people remaining outside

‘We will get through this’: B.C. sees new COVID-19 death, but 57% have recovered

A total of 1,066 people have tested positive for the novel coronavirus

POLL: Will you be able to make your rent or mortgage payment this month?

With the COVID-19 delivering a devastating blow to the global economy, and… Continue reading

Couple celebrates 61st anniversary through Vancouver Island seniors’ home window

Frank and Rena Phillips marked occasion at Nanaimo Seniors Village this week while social distancing

A look at some of the B.C. inventors creating life-saving tools in fight against COVID-19

Groups across B.C. are working together to create what they hope will help people affected by the pandemic

Association launches French-language games, online tools for families learning at home

Games, culture and vocabulary included in new virtual resources

‘There can be no ambiguity’: Travellers brought home to B.C. must self-isolate

Health Minister Adrian Dix said the mandatory isolation must be abided by

Belle from ‘Beauty and the Beast’ entertains home-bound kids in Cowichan Bay

Alora Killam, 16, played the part in musical two years ago

55+ BC Games cancelled amid COVID-19 concerns

Greater Victoria set to host 2021 event

BC Hydro offers three-month bill ‘holiday’ for those affected by COVID-19

Industrial customers can defer half of their power bills

Most Read