B.C. man charged with murder re-arrested days after being released on bail

Albert Giesbrecht was arrested and returned to custody on Dec. 6.

  • Dec. 7, 2017 1:25 p.m.

Burns Lake resident Albert Giesbrecht, who was granted bail and released from custody last week, has been re-arrested.

READ MORE: Burns Lake residents protest Albert Giesbrecht’s release

According to Dan McLaughlin, a spokesperson for the B.C. Prosecution Service, Giesbrecht was arrested and returned to custody on Dec. 6.

“The Crown will seek to have the matter brought before the court to ask that his bail be revoked and that he remain in custody until the trial,” said McLaughlin. “As the matter remains before the court, the B.C. Prosecution Service will have no comment on the case or the reasons for Mr. Giesbrecht’s recent re-arrest.”

Giesbrecht was arrested pursuant to the provisions of section 524 of the Criminal Code, in which there are reasonable grounds to believe that an accused has “contravened or is about to contravene any summons, appearance notice, promise to appear, undertaking or recognizance that was issued or given to him or entered into by him,” or “has committed an indictable offence after any summons, appearance notice, promise to appear, undertaking or recognizance issued or given to him or entered into by him.”

No date has been set for the hearing of this application.

Giesbrecht was charged with first-degree murder in connection with the death of Raymond George Bishop last May. There were 22 conditions in place around his release, including house arrest, no access to Internet or cellphone, no possession of firearms and no contact with 24 people listed in the order.

Approximately 25 local residents gathered in Burns Lake on Nov. 30 to protest his release.

MLA for Nechako Lakes John Rustad told Lakes District News last week that he had raised concerns over Giesbrecht’s release with the minister of public safety and solicitor general, and that Crown was looking at avenues to appeal on both the conditions and on the release of Giesbrecht.


 

@flavio_nienow
newsroom@ldnews.net

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

Lost Victoria: Story of the Crystal Palace

Historian Stuart Stark launches book about iconic Oak Bay structure that was lost to flames

Mount Douglas Park is not a garbage dump, its firs are not your Christmas tree

Furniture and appliances routinely dumped, rare and native plants routinely stolen from park

Development on grounds of former Victoria Truth Centre sent to public hearing

Controversial project moves forward with revisions to previous plans

GALLERY: Oak Bay senior boys take first game in Gary Taylor basketball tournament

Jordan Burke wins Man of the Match honours in 106-54 win over Cowichan

VIDEO: That’s a wrap: Be a Santa to a Senior packages ready to go out

Program hands out more than 600 gifts to Greater Victoria seniors

VIDEO: That’s a wrap: Be a Santa to a Senior packages ready to go out

Program hands out more than 600 gifts to Greater Victoria seniors

B.C. woman brain injured in crash as a baby gets $1.1 million in damages

Trial heard the woman was 16 months old, being carried by her mother when they were both hit

Victoria cycling advocate makes pitch lor lower speeds on local roads

Group points to evidence suggesting 30 km/h speed limit would save money, lives

Court denies WestJet’s bid to toss out discrimination lawsuit of former worker

Mandalena Lewis is suing WestJet over allegations of gender-based discrimination

Sagmoen neighbours recall alleged hammer attack

Woman was screaming outside Maple Ridge townhouse in 2013

Accused B.C. drug smuggler to be extradited

Supreme Court of Canada upholds extradition order for accused Shuswap drug smuggler, Colin Martin

Island entering the peak of flu season

Island Health says flu shots the best prevention against the virus

One convicted, two cleared in 2014 deaths of men in B.C.’s Cariboo

Andrew Jongbloets convicted of manslaughter in deaths of Matthew Hennigar, 23 and Kalvin Andy, 22

Firefighter dies, thousands more take on California blaze

This is second death linked to the Thomas fire, northwest of Los Angeles

Most Read