Alleged sexual abuse of child at Okanagan school

A North Okanagan mother is in tears after her daughter claims she had been sexually abused at school

A mother is in tears after her six-year-old daughter was allegedly sexually abused at school.

The North Okanagan-Shuswap School District family, the names and location of which are being withheld to protect their identity, has been dealing with the outcome and what she refers to as a lack of change at the school since the incident occurred last fall.

“On Nov. 14, 2017, my daughter woke up and didn’t want to go to school,” the mother said. “It came out that she no longer wanted to go to the bathroom with another (student).”

The concerned mother began to question her daughter further after hearing the troubling words. Her daughter said she had been sexually abused in the washroom by her big buddy — an older student at the school — since school began in September.

She immediately contacted the local RCMP and the school principal to inform them of what had occurred.

Const. Kelly Brett with the RCMP said that they were made aware of the allegations and conducted an investigation.

“Under the Criminal Code of Canada, no child under the age of 12 will be charged with a criminal offence,” Brett said. “The RCMP have concluded our investigation and the appropriate partner agencies have been briefed and are involved with the families. This included the school, the school district and the Ministry of Children and Family Development.”

No further information regarding the investigation will be released.

“I was told that the (student) was to be taken out of school immediately,” the mother said of her talk with the principal. “I was told I would be informed when the (student) would be coming back.”

Two weeks later, the mother went to drop her daughter off at school when a teacher approached her.

“I was told the principal wanted to speak to me. The student was back,” she said.

Upset that the assurances given by the school hadn’t been upheld, the mother said, the abused’s father went to speak with the principal. She said the school phoned the police and put the school on a hold and secure in response to an aggressive male on the property. The father has since been banned from School District 83 property.

“The next two weeks proceeded to have the abuser picked up (after school) 10 feet from my daughter’s exit,” the mother said.

The mother brought her story to the district, Shuswap MLA Greg Kyllo and the Ministry of Education, who in turn brought in Safer Schools in December to implement changes in the school plan, which the mother said haven’t been adhered to.

“While we are unable to respond to the particular details of any student matter, what I can speak to is the process and approach to providing care and support to students in our schools,” said Peter Jory, School District 83 superintendent. “We approach all situations mindful of individual circumstances and best practices for safety of students and staff in the district. The district also reaches out to the Ministry of Education’s provincial experts in the field of Student Safety, Risk Assessment and Trauma Response for additional guidance and support.

“The North Okanagan Shuswap School District is dedicated to ensuring the safety and emotional well-being of all of our students. Planning for student safety, including understanding and addressing sexual behaviour of children under the age of 12, is undertaken by a team of professionals based at our schools and district, and involves professionals in the community with expertise in these complex matters. Safety support plans may be created and adapted as necessary to meet individual needs.”

Earlier this week, the mother was called to meet with the principal, who, she said, admitted that the daughter was briefly put in the same classroom as the abuser. The mother, in tears, said that incident goes against the safety implementations put in place.

“Ever since this incident happened with my daughter, she has been acting out in school,” the mother said. “She has been making frequent trips to the principal’s office because of this.”


@VernonNews
parker.crook@vernonmorningstar.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

City of Victoria considers scrapping funds for Christmas decorations

City Coun. Ben Isitt doesn’t think the government should pay for any religious symbols

Cluster of convenience coming to Millstream and Treanor in Langford

Residential and commercial development to be completed in three phases

Cranberry fields not forever in British Columbia

Canadians consumed 2.6 kilograms fresh cranberries in 2016, but industry faces challenges

Transplant caregiver starts website for financial, mental health support

Beth Campbell-Duke started Transplant Rouges after her husband’s double lung transplant

Saanich swimmer has ribs removed, posts them on social media

Jill Yoneda makes light of rare surgery for ‘slipping rib syndrome’

Lawyer for Chinese exec detained by Canada says it’s ‘inconceivable’ she would flee

Meng Wanzhou was detained at the request of the U.S. during a layover at the Vancouver airport

Trapped humpback whale freed from salmon farm near Tofino

“All of these problems could be solved by the farms moving onto land and getting out of the ocean.”

Federal government plans examination of coerced sterilization

The Liberals have been pressed for a rapid response to recent reports on the sterilizations

Huitema, Cornelius named 2018 Canadian Youth International Players of the Year

Huitema was captain of Canada’s fourth-place team at this year’s FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup

Canada not slowing emissions from oil and gas: environmental groups

New report released at the United Nations climate talks in Poland

Liberal Party moves Trudeau fundraiser from military base

The fundraiser is scheduled for Dec. 19, with tickets costing up to $400

Pipeline protesters arrested at B.C. university

Three protesters were arrested after TRU property allegedly vandalized with red paint

Goodale to ‘examine’ transfer of Rafferty to medium-security prison

Michael Rafferty was sentenced to life in prison in 2012 in the kidnapping, sexual assault and first-degree murder of Tori Stafford

‘Abhorrent’ condition of autistic B.C. boy shows flaws in care system: report

‘Charlie’ was underweight and ‘covered in feces’ when he was removed from his mom’s care

Most Read