Minister of Transport Marc Garneau announced Friday that Salish Sea Industrial Services, an Indigenous-owned and operated marine construction, maintenance and support services company, is receiving $404,350 under the Abandoned Boats Program to remove 17 boats from three locations around Salt Spring Island. (Keri Coles/News staff)

17 abandoned boats around Salt Spring Island to be removed with federal funding

Local Indigenous company awarded funds through Abandoned Boats Program

A local Indigenous company in Victoria has been granted federal funding to remove 17 boats from local waters.

Minister of Transport Marc Garneau announced in Victoria Friday the most recent applicants to receive funding through the Abandoned Boats Program to support the assessment, removal and disposal of abandoned boats in Canadian waters.

Salish Sea Industrial Services, an Indigenous-owned and operated marine construction, maintenance and support services company, is receiving $404,350 under the Abandoned Boats Program to remove the boats from three locations around Salt Spring Island.

RELATED: Feds urged to streamline abandoned boat regulations

“Abandoned boats are a threat to marine ecosystems, aquatic species and the livelihood of fish harvesters. The Government of Canada is proud to support this collaboration of municipalities, industry, and Indigenous groups, working together to improve our coasts and waterways for future generations,” said Marc Garneau, Minister of Transport.

The company previously received funding for and successfully completed the removal of four boats in Victoria Harbour.

The Township of Esquimalt was also announced as a recipient, receiving $2,500 for assessment of one boat and $5,625 for removal of one boat.

RELATED: Transport Canada announces $17M for pollutant clean up in Victoria Park, removal of abandoned boats

The Abandoned Boats Program is investing $6.85 million for abandoned boat assessment, removal and disposal, and for research and education initiatives, under the Oceans Protection Plan.

Launched in November 2016, the five-year, $1.5-billion Oceans Protection Plan is working to protect Canada’s coasts and waterways.

“As we mark the two-year anniversary of the Oceans Protection Plan this month, we renew our commitment to meaningful action to safeguard Canadian waters as a critical resource and a source of pride,” said Garneau.


 

keri.coles@blackpress.ca

Follow us on Instagram
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

 

Minister of Transport Marc Garneau announced Friday the most recent applicants to receive funding through the Abandoned Boats Program to support the assessment, removal and disposal of abandoned boats in Canadian waters. (Keri Coles/News staff)

Minister of Transport Marc Garneau speaks with representatives from Salish Sea Industrial Services, an Indigenous-owned and operated marine construction, maintenance and support services company receiving $404,350 under the Abandoned Boats Program to remove the boats from three locations around Salt Spring Island. (Keri Coles/News staff)

Just Posted

Saanich Police looking for information relating to suspicious death

The body of a man was found on Crease Avenue just after 9 a.m. on Saturday

250th Free Little Library installed in Victoria

Greater Victoria now has the highest density of mapped little libraries in the country

Urbanists hope to see Victoria’s unused rooftops, parkades, parking lots become usable green space

Downtown Residents Association says city dwellers should have access to parks

For the love of fibre: fibre arts celebrated through demonstrations and market showcasing locally made items

Fibre arts celebrated through demonstrations and market showcasing locally made items

Cemetery tour explores Metchosin’s early history

A tour with grave consequences for those wishing to explore Metchosin’s history takes place Aug. 25

70 years of lifting: Canadian man, 85, could cinch weightlifting championship

The senior gym junkie is on track to win the World Masters Weightlifting championship

U16 B.C. fastpitch team named national champs

Girls went undefeated at national tournament in Calgary

Advocates ‘internationalize’ the fight to free Raif Badawi from Saudi prison

Raif Badawi was arrested on June 17, 2012, and was later sentenced to 1,000 lashes and 10 years in jail for his online criticism of Saudi clerics

Canadian entrepreneurs turning beer byproduct into bread, cookies and profits

Some breweries turn to entrepreneurs looking to turn spent grain into treats for people and their pets

Canada ‘disappointed’ terror suspect’s British citizenship revoked

Jack Letts, who was dubbed “Jihadi Jack” by the U.K. media, has been detained in a Kurdish prison for about two years

Chrystia Freeland condemns violence in Hong Kong, backs right to peaceful assembly

There have been months of protests in the semi-autonomous region

Most Read