Embrace the Night walk organizer Ron Carter gets to plot the way walkers enter 2018 in Oak Bay.
He’s tasked with creating the route for the annual community walk Jan. 1 with mayor and council.
“We are fine tuning an exciting 4 km, one-hour walk with a route I don’t think we’ve done on Embrace the Night and that’s all I’m going to tell you so you might like to find out for yourselves New Year’s Day,” Carter says. He organizes the monthly walks alongside Rick Marshall, on behalf of the Community Association of Oak Bay. Those walks resume in the spring.
On New Year’s day, the mayor leads the community walk leaving from the Oak Bay Recreation Centre (1975 Bee Street) lobby at 12:30 p.m. “Of course the reward afterwards is refreshments and a mingle with mayor and council afterwards upstairs in the Oak Bay Sports View Lounge,” Carter says.
Coffee and tea are offered from 1:30 to 2:30 p.m.
Recreation Oak Bay adds exercise to start 2018 with free activities:
• Jazzercise in the Indoor Sports Field, 11 a.m. to noon
• Everyone Welcome skate, noon to 1:30 p.m.
• Fitness Studio orientations (please pre-register), noon to 2 p.m.
• Leisure and Lengths in the pool, noon to 2 p.m.
• Kid’s Fun Swim in the pool, 2 to 4:30 p.m.
• Tennis: 15 minute private lessons (sign up upon arrival), 1 to 3:30 p.m. While the activities are free, donations to KidSport will be gratefully accepted.
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.