Stove top goes up in flames

The Oak Bay Fire Department responded to the blaze and arrived to find the homeowner had extinguished the fire on his stove top

A Mowat Street resident got the fright as he arrived home just after 7:30 p.m. March 1 to find his kitchen on fire.

The Oak Bay Fire Department responded to the blaze and arrived to find the homeowner had extinguished the fire on his stove top using the retractable hose from the faucet in the sink.

The Oak Bay Fire prevention office Ken Gill said the public should use extreme caution if they decide to enter a home to fight a fire that has produced considerable smoke and toxic gases.

“Always dial 911 first and notify the fire department before making an attempt to extinguish a fire,” said Gill. “Remember that fast developing fires can double in size every 30 seconds.”

Firefighters entered the residence to check the fire area to confirm it was properly out and to check to ensure the fire had not spread.

An investigation revealed the fire started when an element had accidently been left on earlier in the evening causing it to ignite a dish towel and plastic dishes that had been placed on top of the stove to dry.

The family was not home at the time the fire began to smolder.

Significant damage was caused to the kitchen of the home.

Gill also reminds residents to make sure your smoke alarms are working and to keep stove tops clear of combustible materials at all times.

Damage to the home are estimated at approximately $25,000. 

 

 

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

PHOTOS: Small crowd gathers to watch 231-tonne stacker-reclaimer load onto barge crane

The Dynamic Beast barge crane, known for work with Johnson Street Bridge, makes a return

National Drug Drop-Off month aims to reduce substance abuse by house-bound youth

Expert says there is misconception prescribed medication is safe to take

Saanich Peninsula Hospital Auxiliary hosts pop-up fundraiser in Sidney

Temporary store to feature unique hand made gifts, collectibles, clothing, books and more

Victoria mayor wants newspaper boxes removed from downtown streets

Mayor Lisa Helps says the boxes are not needed, often filled with garbage

Esquimalt artists take to great outdoors amid coronavirus

Group invites budding, or just willing artists, to join at Saxe Point

Crews work overnight to try to put out wildfire on Pender Island

Fire department and B.C. Wildfire Service crews extinguishing fire in ‘extremely difficult terrain’

Crews work overnight to try to put out wildfire on Pender Island

Fire department and B.C. Wildfire Service crews extinguishing fire in ‘extremely difficult terrain’

Michael Buble among 13 British Columbians to receive Order of B.C.

Ceremony will be delayed to 2021 due to COVID-19

U.S. border communities feel loss of Canadian tourists, shoppers and friends

Restrictions on non-essential travel across the Canada-U.S. border have been in place since March 2`

Rollout of COVID-19 Alert app faces criticism over accessibility

App requires users to have Apple or Android phones made in the last five years, and a relatively new operating system

Alleged impaired driver sparks small wildfire near Lytton after crash: B.C. RCMP

Good Samaritans prevented the blaze from getting out of control

B.C. First Nation adopts ‘digital twinning’ software to better manage territory

Software allows users to visualize what a mountain might look like if the trees on its slopes were logged

Most Read