As a part of the Oak Bay community known to few people other than its members or competitive golfers, Victoria Golf Club is somewhat of a mystery.
Like most of the municipality, however, it has evolved and changed through the years.
The course is located on what was once part of the Pemberton farm. The original clubhouse was a re-fashioned piano crate, used to protect the Pembertons’ piano when it was shipped from England.
The clubhouse has had several versions since, including the facility shown in the accompanying photo, which stood from about 1895 to 1927. Days before a replacement clubhouse for this building was to be completed in 1927, fire destroyed the new structure.
The subsequent replacement has stood since, with various additions.
Shown teeing off in the archival photo is W.E. Oliver, the 1895 B.C. amateur champion who served for a time as the club’s secretary. He became the first reeve, or mayor, of Oak Bay in 1906.
– with thanks to the Oak Bay Archives