Monterey student sale a swarming success

Community shows up in record number for middle school event

This year saw Monterey Market’s biggest turnout yet.

For the third year, Grade 6 students worked on their math and English skills by crafting budgets and creating business plans as they create a product to bring to market.

“This is the culmination of the young entrepreneurs project,” said principal Ken Andrews. “It weaves together creativity and innovation as they come up with a plan and bring it to market. The the whole community is invited in so it brings in real life skills as well.”

The entire Grade 6 contingent conducted market research, designed crafts and products, created business plans and sold their wares on Wednesday. Each year students donate 10 per cent to a worthy cause, which they must also research and come to agreement on.

“It’s wonderful working with these kids, look at how proud they are, the community’s come on out. It’s a wonderful experience,” said teacher Mitch Barnes, during the market. “The kids are learning practical skills they’re running businesses and they contribute 10 per cent of the profits to Juvenile Diabetes (Foundation) and they get to keep the other 90 per cent, everybody wins.”

 

Just Posted

Meet Your Candidates: Oak Bay candidates outline the issues

Deer, infrastructure and more among top concerns

BC SPCA sees successful weekend from adoption sales

On Saturday animal shelters across the province reduced their adoption fees

West Shore RCMP tape off Langford law office sent suspicious substance last month

No confirmation as to why police were back at Hemminger Law Group Monday afternoon

Two drivers crash through Victoria homes in two weeks

VicPD say alcohol is believed to a factor in both incidents

Afternoon collision launches vehicle through downtown Victoria business

Two female drivers and staff of CEV Victoria uninjured, but visibly shaken

Campers near Saanich municipal hall await response from transportation ministry

MOTI expected to decide Monday when campers need to leave

Advance voting begins Oct. 10 in Greater Victoria

The polls open at 8 a.m. for the 2018 municipal election with the general election taking place Oct. 20

Find your future at Black Press career fair in Victoria

More than 70 booths expected at Bay Street Armoury on Oct. 25

Trump: Saudi king ‘firmly denies’ any role in Khashoggi mystery

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is travelling to the Middle East to learn more about the fate of the Saudi national

Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen dies at 65

Allen died in Seattle from complications of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma

Transport Canada to take new look at rules, research on school bus seatbelts

Canada doesn’t currently require seatbelts on school buses

Sockeye run in Shuswap expected to be close to 2014 numbers

Salute to the Sockeye on Adams River continues until Sunday, Oct. 21 at 4 p.m.

Michelle Mungall’s baby first in B.C. legislature chamber

B.C. energy minister praises support of staff, fellow MLAs

Canucks: Pettersson in concussion protocol, Beagle out with broken forearm

Head coach Travis Green called the hit ‘a dirty play’

Most Read