Staff at the Saanichton Corn Maze are getting ready to open the gates for Fright Night 2019. (Sergej Krivenko/It’s A Thing Imagery)

Staff at the Saanichton Corn Maze are getting ready to open the gates for Fright Night 2019. (Sergej Krivenko/It’s A Thing Imagery)

Killer clowns and chainsaw-wielding ghouls descend on Central Saanich corn maze

Fright Night takes place at Saanichton Corn Maze Oct 19, 26

Staff at the Saanichton Corn Maze are putting together the final touches before opening the gates for Fright Night 2019. The two-night event will take place on Oct. 19 and 26 from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m.

While the corn maze was open last year, there was very little advertising so owner Jag Dhariwal considers this to be the inaugural year for the Fright Night event.

READ ALSO: Victoria Police Department encourages safe costumes with Halloween contest

Attendees will be let loose in the four acre corn maze at 7979 Central Saanich Rd. for an evening of horror. Actors in creepy costumes will skulk around the maze waiting to scare anyone who dares to go the wrong way.

Dhariwal expects things to be so scary, that children under 12 will need to be accompanied by a parent and young children shouldn’t even attend.

“It’s definitely not for the faint of heart,” he said proudly. “It’s creepy enough in there at night without scary people in it.”

The killer clowns and chainsaw wielding ghouls will stay in the maze so anyone who needs a break can step out and enjoy the pumpkin patch bonfire or explore the rest of the property while working up the nerve to head back in. Dhariwal also emphasized that the actors aren’t allowed to touch the folks in the maze while scaring them.

READ ALSO: One-man Frankenstein show coming to Craigdarroch Castle

The event is subject to weather and updates will be posted on the Saanichton Corn Maze social media accounts. Dhariwal recommends buying tickets online in advance as there will be an express line for folks who’ve already paid to get in.

The corn maze is open on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. for non-spooky, kid-friendly tours and groups can reserve the Flashlight Maze after 7 p.m. for a spooky but ghoul-free tour.


@devonscarlett
devon.bidal@saanichnews.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Sipili Molia, regional kettle manager, shows off the Salvation Army’s new contactless donation system for the 2020 Christmas Kettle Campaign outside municipal hall on Dec. 1. (Devon Bidal/News Staff)
VIDEO: Tech offers hope as Salvation Army sees need skyrocket across B.C.

Charity is equipping hundreds of kettles across B.C. with ‘touchless giving technology’

Kathy MacNeil, president and chief executive officer of Island Health, Dawn Thomas, acting deputy health minister and Island Health’s vice president, Indigenous health and diversity and Chief Don Tom of Tsartlip First Nation, stand out Saanich Peninsula Hospital Tuesday morning, when they also answered questions about a new report that “widespread systemic racism against Indigenous people” in the provincial health care system. (Island Health/Submitted)
Head of Island Health says Saanich Peninsula Hospital not part of racist guessing game

Tsartlip First Nations Chief Don Tom welcomes changes following report but promises future scrutiny

The Capital Regional District and the Habitat Acquisition Fund have agreed to partner on the purchase of the $3.4-million Mountain View Forest in Saanich to establish a new regional park. (Photo courtesy the Habitat Acquisition Trust)
CRD, Habitat Acquisition Trust to spend $3.4M on 20-hectare forest park in Saanich

Mountian Road Forest property to be conserved as regional park

Caroline Sousa, Bela Spick and her son Mateo marched along Prospect Lake Road in November 2019 to bring attention to the unsafe conditions on the road. (Black Press Media file photo)
Saanich reduces Prospect Lake Road speed limit to 30 km/h

New speed limit in effect as of Dec. 1 from Goward Road to Estelline Road

Royal Bay Secondary’s leadership class, comprised of Grade 9 through 12 students, is part of the student team organizing this year’s 10,000 Tonight event that shifts entirely online for 2020. (Aaron Guillen/News Staff)
West Shore student food drive shifts entirely online

Drive-thru option removed from 10,000 Tonight in light of COVID-19 restrictions

A tongue-in-cheek message about wearing a face mask to curb the spread of COVID-19 on a sign outside a church near Royal Columbia Hospital, in New Westminster, B.C., on Sunday, Nov. 29, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
B.C.’s COVID-19 infection count climbs back up to 656

20 more people in hospital, active cases still rising

Dave Wallace coached the Parksville Royals for 23 years. (PQB News file photo)
B.C. baseball community mourns death of legendary Vancouver Island coach Dave Wallace

‘All who knew Dave and his passion for the game will miss him greatly’

THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nathan Denette
B.C. researchers launch study to test kids, young adults for COVID-19 antibodies

Kids and youth can often be asymptomatic carriers of the novel coronavirus

A sign is seen this past summer outside the Yunesit’in Government office west of Williams Lake reminding visitors and members to stay safe amid the COVID-19 pandemic. (Rebecca Dyok photo)
B.C. First Nation leaders await privacy commissioner decision on COVID-19 information

Release of life-saving data cannot wait, says coalition of First Nations

MLA Jennifer Whiteside is B.C.’s new minister of education. She is speaking out against Chilliwack school trustee Barry Neufeld and asking him to resign. (Black Press)
New education minister calls on Chilliwack trustee to resign

Whiteside echoes former minister’s promise to look at options to remove Barry Neufeld

Peter Beckett. ~ File photo
Supreme Court of Canada to decide if it will hear appeal in 2010 wife murder trial

Peter Beckett has stood trial twice for murder in connection with the death of his wife, Laura Letts-Beckett

Tabor Home in Abbotsford. (Ben Lypka/Abbotsford News)
B.C.’s largest COVID-19 care-home outbreak records 19 deaths, 147 cases

Tabor Home in Abbotsford has been battling outbreak since Nov. 4

Most Read