The Starbucks at 3849 Cadboro Bay Rd. closed permanently on Sunday, Oct. 25. (Google Maps)

The Starbucks at 3849 Cadboro Bay Rd. closed permanently on Sunday, Oct. 25. (Google Maps)

Cadboro Bay Starbucks closes despite petition signed by nearly 250 residents

Closure part of transition to more drive-thru locations, Starbucks spokesperson says

A petition with nearly 250 signatures from residents calling on the coffee chain to reconsider the closure of the branch hit a wall after the location closed permanently on Sunday.

A notice earlier in the month announced the closure of the Starbucks at 3849 Cadboro Bay Rd., thanked the long-time customers and listed the three next closest Starbucks locations – Torquay Village, Shelbourne Plaza and the Fort/Foul Bay.

Residents were surprised and some began searching for answers. Robert Miller, a longtime resident and local physician, was disappointed about the impending closure and created a an online petition in an attempt to get Starbucks Canada to reconsider.

READ ALSO: Cadboro Bay Starbucks location to close permanently after 16 years

“By closing the Cadboro Bay store, Starbucks is letting down the neighbourhood and is being disloyal to the community at this time of crisis,” says the petition description.

By Oct. 24 – one day before the closure – nearly 200 people had signed the petition. At the time, Miller asked that the petition be shared to create “a permanent record of how much Cadboro Bay regrets the closure of this store.”

READ ALSO: Starbucks plans to close up to 200 Canadian locations over two years

After many attempts to reach out to Starbucks, Miller received a response to the petition. He felt the reply was “canned” but said it was nice to hear the coffee corporation was “humbled by [residents’] passion.” The representative promised to pass the petition along to the appropriate department but the Cadboro Bay Starbucks closed on Oct. 25 and Miller hasn’t heard more.

A spokesperson for Starbucks told Black Press Media the closure was part of “store transformation work” that the company is undertaking amid the pandemic “to best meet our customers where they are now.

“We will close some stores and open new stores next year, nearly all of which will be drive-thru,” the spokesperson said.

READ ALSO: Starbucks Canada to nix seating, closing mall, university-based stores due to COVID-19

Miller said the Cadboro Bay location was “ideally suited” to pandemic-friendly service as the heated outdoor seating area provided space for patrons to social distance while enjoying their coffee.

“It’s just a sad situation,” Miller said. “Cadboro Bay is a bit smaller now.”

As of Oct. 27, the petition had nearly 250 signatures but Miller doesn’t plan to continue to promote it. However, he’ll keep it active as a record of how residents feel about the loss of their Starbucks.


@devonscarlett
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

devon.bidal@saanichnews.com

coffeeSaanich

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

The public will start to weigh in next month on the possible future uses of Oak Bay Lodge. In the meantime, a request to the province by the City of Victoria to intervene and allow use of at least a portion of the closed facility as temporary shelter space awaits an answer. (Black Press Media file photo)
Oak Bay Lodge redevelopment planning continues, request for temporary use awaits answer

Public consultation on future of CRD-owned site begins next month

Volunteer Anette Akouri is part of a vital service that connects clients to help them be less vulernable. (Saanich Volunteer Services Society)
Saanich volunteers up the friendship calls, grocery deliveries during pandemic

Saanich Volunteer Services Society helping vulnerable residents stay happy, healthy

A rendering of Victoria Wonderland, a drive-thru immersive holiday experience that has been cancelled due to COVID-19. (Courtesy of Transcend Victoria)
Victoria Wonderland drive-thru show cancelled due to COVID-19

Organizers hope to host a similar event, if restrictions allow, in the new year

Oak Bay High students Mimi Hill and Aine O’Donnell run along the Jack Wallace Memorial Track. The old track is due to be resurfaced. (Black Press Media File Photo)
Oak Bay track resurfacing delayed

Oak Bay commits $50,000 towards renewed Jack Wallace track

Motorists wait to enter a Fraser Health COVID-19 testing facility, in Surrey, B.C., on Monday, Nov. 9, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
Another 694 diagnosed with COVID-19 in B.C. Thursday

Three more health care outbreaks, 12 deaths

(AP Photo/Paula Bronstein)
POLL: Has COVID-19 changed your plans for the holidays?

The lights are going up, the stacks of presents under the tree… Continue reading

Anyone with information on any of these individuals is asked to call 1-800-222-TIPS (8477) or visit the website victoriacrimestoppers.ca for more information.
Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers wanted list for the week of Dec. 1

Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers is seeking the public’s help in locating the… Continue reading

Watch Messiah at home with the Sooke Philharmonic

Concert available to stream Dec. 12

Emergency crews used a backhoe loader to clear fire debris from the scene of a fire on Wesley Street Thursday as police and firefighters gathered up propane tanks, stoves and fireplaces used by camp residents to heat tents. (Chris Bush/News Bulletin)
City of Nanaimo dismantles downtown homeless encampment after fire

Four to six tents burned up in Wesley Street fire Thursday, Dec. 3

A demonstrator wears representations of sea lice outside the Fisheries and Oceans Canada offices in downtown Vancouver Sept. 24, demanding more action on the Cohen Commission recommendations to protect wild Fraser River sockeye. (Quinn Bender photo)
First Nations renew call to revoke salmon farm licences

Leadership council implores use of precautionary principle in Discovery Islands

Ten-month-old Aidan Deschamps poses for a photo with his parents Amanda Sully and Adam Deschamps in this undated handout photo. Ten-month-old Aidan Deschamps was the first baby in Canada to be diagnosed with spinal muscular atrophy through Ontario’s newborn screening program. The test was added to the program six days before he was born. THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO, Children’s Hospital Eastern Ontario *MANDATORY CREDIT*
First newborn tested for spinal muscular atrophy in Canada hits new milestones

‘If Aidan had been born any earlier or anywhere else our story would be quite different’

BC Ambulance Services reassures people that the service is well staffed and ready to respond. Photo by Don Bodger
BC Ambulance assures the Island community they’re ‘fully staffed’

‘Paramedics are not limited to a geographical area.’ — BCEHS

(Pixabay)
Canadians’ mental health has deteriorated with the second wave, study finds

Increased substance use one of the ways people are coping

Most Read