Islanders have a bit of a reputation for being green – from banning plastic bags to recycling bins on every corner — but what about when it comes to that “special day?”
Whether Valentine’s Day is big deal to you and yours or you’re just waiting for all that chocolate to go on sale, Greater Victoria has a ton of sustainable and fairtrade options for gifts you can feel good about giving.
1. Food is usually the centre of any good date and with the selection of fair trade grocery stores on the Island, you can impress with your cooking and humanitarian efforts.
2. What’s dinner without drinks? Stop off at Cook St. Liquor for some local craft brews and an added bonus, pick up a plant or two for that special someone.
3. If you’re looking for something a little more tangible, try one of these local, sustainable stores.
Nezza Naturals offers organic, eco-friendly and natural body, bath, beauty and home care products all made by Victoria locals.
Ten Thousand Villages sources products from global artisans while creating an ongoing fairtrade relationship with designers.
4. You’ll want to be looking your best, but with these retailers, you can feel your best too.
It’s Only Natural, an eco award winning retailer, sells a range of goods from local designers, using mostly hemp blends and other eco certified fabrics all manufactured in Canada.
Not Just Pretty is an ‘eco-boutique’ that focuses on cutting edge fashion with a environmental and social responsibility at the forefront.
5. And the pièce de résistance of any Valentine’s day is the chocolate.